Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

The Electroslag

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

The Electroslag

Post by Merlin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:25 pm
Any plan for it? Exhaust intake?
I could go for a fake sound? :lolno: There are companies that make them :crazy:
wurlycorner wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 pm
Great to hear from you, Merlin
:thumbup:

The first question I usually get asked is about range. It's rated for 330 miles to a full charge, you can get it but you have to drive at 55 everywhere in chill mode, chill limits power to ~220bhp. In standard mode with a mix of blasting and cruising, I'm currently getting around 200-230 miles to a full charge. In my 5th gen I was getting around 240 miles to the tank, so almost comparable. Running costs are very low, on my current electricity tariff I pay around £10.50 to fill the battery. But, in Scotland there are lots of free charge points so I have been using these fairly often and driving around on free electricity. At the house it would take 10-11 hours to fill it up from 0-100% but I generally top up from 50-60%. At public 50KwH fast chargers, a 20-90% charge is just over an hour, and Tesla Superchargers are even faster.

Build quality etc... Some of the plastics inside aren't the best but it is American and an electric car, so its saving weight in all areas it can, and if you poke around the car a little you can see where they are trying to save weight and things are a little flimsy. That said, all the things you touch and feel are nice. Seats are good and the material, although completely synthetic, has a nice feel. The steering wheel and touch screen also feel nice when touching. The carbon boot spoiler isn't particularly well attached but you have to be right up to it to notice. For sounds there is obviously no engine note, but give it the beans and the twin electric motors start whining, which itself is nice.

TBH I haven't missed engine or exhaust noise at all. Firstly it has an awesome sound system, the Performance has the premium sound system as standard. It has at least one sub, but I think two based on how much bass in in the front of the car. But you don't miss the noise because when the acceleration is so much that you forget about all else other than how fast it is. Any speed, well any sensible speed :P, and you give it the beans, and it takes off. Just as well it comes with 235/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tyres and all wheel drive.

In truth I am totally smitten with it :oops: on the road it is almost as good in the corners as it is on the straights. There is loads of grip but with a bit of grunt you can feel the car move around a bit coming out of corners, but generally the car sorts it out for you. Probably the two biggest things I like about the whole EV experience is no gear box, not just the not having to change gear, not even like an automatic composition engine, but uninterrupted acceleration. The other is regenerative braking which when driving normally (even a little quickly) results in not having to use the brake at all once you get used to it.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

The Electroslag

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:45 am

You mentioning the tyres is an interesting point I hadn't thought of before...
The performance of Tesla's (even the standard models) makes massive demands on the tyres.
As they get older/on the used market and people go for budget tyres, the thought of all that performance going through something like an Accelera tyre is absolutely frightening! :|

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

The Electroslag

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:17 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:45 am
You mentioning the tyres is an interesting point I hadn't thought of before...
The performance of Tesla's (even the standard models) makes massive demands on the tyres.
As they get older/on the used market and people go for budget tyres, the thought of all that performance going through something like an Accelera tyre is absolutely frightening! :|
On alot of cars I repair I always notice accelera or linglong on nice performance cars, they are the ones who says the cars handling is crap and sell it on.

toadster

The Electroslag

Post by toadster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Lo :D
In Your write-up Merlin You said You only got 240 miles to a tank on Your 5th Gen :o seems very low.
I get an average of 320 miles or so.
Cheers ;)
Toadster

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

The Electroslag

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm

toadster wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:04 pm
Lo :D
In Your write-up Merlin You said You only got 240 miles to a tank on Your 5th Gen :o seems very low.
I get an average of 320 miles or so.
Cheers ;)
Toadster
But Merlin is VTEC'in the heckin out of it. Smiles per gallon.

Scott560

The Electroslag

Post by Scott560 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Nice - I can't help but feel the interior is underwhelming, I guess the missing binacle for driver instruments is what does it. Performance must make up for it though :P

I want a honda-e , but its not a sensible choice given its low range and low power, for the same price as a brand new civic type R lol.

On the subject of tyres (and bad ones), I recently found https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ whilst looking for tyre information. The site is a little hard to find what your after, but the videos tend to give a good overview, top end high performance, top end normal, and midrange... There are some midrange tyres which are coming up to decent performance whilst still being a fair bit cheaper.

Michelin PS4-S are in the ultra high performance category, what you need for higher power cars.

250miles is about right for a 2.2vti prelude tank. Can probably get 400 on a long slow run, but who ever uses the prelude for that!
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”