Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

SiR_Chris; H2B Delsol - MAGAZINE FEATURE OUT NOW JAN 2017!!

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
SiR_Chris
My Generation: 4G

Re: SiR_Chris; 260 bhp H2B (H22A) DelSol

Post by SiR_Chris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Supermarine Blues wrote:Looks really tidy indeed.

Isn't a Sol a little wobbbbbly for that sort of power?
Cheers dude

Yeh with the roof off the chassis does flex a little. But it doesn't seem to have an affect on corner speed :D I didn't build this to be a race car, just a dam good all rounder :) Have you driven a sol round the twisty's? MUCH better than people make them out to be!!

Shafts will be fine, if they handle 350+ turbo and K-swap sols then I'm sure they'll handle 260 from an H :)
That's why I went with the QSD kit - it retains stock driveshaft angles. The Evolution/Bisimoto kit does not :)

Thanks for the comments guys, it helps make the whole ordeal worthwhile!!

SiR_Chris

Post by SiR_Chris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Merlin wrote:Kool thanks. I read it as the B series box was able to liberate more WHP :?. What is the WHP out of interest? So the crux of H2B conversions is simply that its easier to get everything in the car as its only the engine that's swapped out?
Yeh, that and the other advantages listed already
Not sure what the WHP is, I need to ask Rich why it isn't on there

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 pm

:clap: x ∞

Good stuff!

SiR_Chris

Post by SiR_Chris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I should prob update this thread in case anyone is interested! Forgive me for copying and pasting from another forum:

So as I mentioned earlier, I’ve been meaning to improve the cooling (both oil and water) since I installed the engine as it has always ran a little hot. I often see oil temps of 105-110 on normal motorway driving for example and the fan comes on sooner than you would expect when stationary.

Coupled with the fact I don’t like the look of the tall prelude rad in the engine bay (and the fact it is still sitting on ‘temporary’ B&Q steel brackets :lol: ) I thought I would investigate other options. Here is the current look – not great:

Having looked into custom rads (quite costly) I started looking at other off-the-shelf standard radiators from other cars. I didn’t want a lude or ITR rad as they would be just as high as my current one (I can’t lower the mounting due to my traction bar). I very nearly plumped for a CRX MK2 alloy radiator as it is shorter than the lude rad, with similar hose positions etc. but I then stumbled across a radiator used in the VW Golf MKII 8v…

When I initially looked into custom rads, I thought it would be awesome if I sized it to be able to mount within the bumper void, in front of the slam panel - why not tuck it away out of sight right?! Well, the Golf rad actually gives me a very similar sized option that I would have had custom made anyway – at a much cheaper cost! Could this allow me to tuck my rad away and do something that I’d never seen done before – not even in the engine tuck world!? :shock: :D

Investigating this option more, I made a template out of card and mounted it to the car…

The actual cooling ability (core surface area and core thickness) of this rad would be better than the double width prelude rad I currently have (the primary reason for doing this don’t forget).

You can see that the hose positions are in a different location to normal, and it also has no filler cap.

The top hose outlet, luckily, as well as being the same diameter as the Sol (32mm ID), is in a perfect position to route the top hose through into the engine bay through the gap between the headlight and slam panel:

The bottom hose is a bit more tricky. I would have to weld a new outlet pipe from the side of the rad to enable the hose to be routed to the side of my traction bar and through into the bay up over the gearbox to the thermostat housing (the standard outlet position points right at the slam panel). Coupled with the fact that finding a very specific shaped bottom hose for this application would be nigh on impossible, this was starting to get a little tricky.

The additional problem is with respect to the lack of filler cap - the reason for this is because VW use a pressurized header tank and mount this high up in the engine bay on the right, as below;

This tank actually has two hose connections – the top one is the overflow pipe and merges into the top rad hose as shown in the photo. There is also a bottom pipe that connects to another coolant hose into the block (and to the turbo on the Golf turbo models via a Y-splitter). Reading on the VW forums quite a few people delete this tank when they tuck their engine bays and use an inline filler cap which is mounted within the top rad hose, as an alternative:

This seems to work very well for them with no daily-drive or bleeding issues so I thought I could go down the same route, as long as I make sure the rad filler cap is at the highest point of my cooling system. I decided to take the plunge and give it a go – after all I like a challenge (this whole engine conversion for starters haha :lol: ). So I bought a dual core alloy radiator online:

and test fit this into position, luckily my card template was pretty accurate:

I used a contact through my work who welds aluminium and bought a 90degree pipe:

To be welded to the side of the rad:

However even though the pipe was advertised as aluminium it turned out to be stainless steel (which can’t be welded to aluminium) :roll: so I had the welder knock up a less-pretty solution and got a full refund from the company who false advertised the pipe;

The old outlet was also blocked up for obvious reasons:

I also had him weld brackets with M6 studs on to the rear so I can securely fit a couple of fans and not have to use those awful –through clip things which just vibrate off;

To solve the issue with finding a suitable shaped top and bottom hose to fit round all the obstructions, I found a flexible hose online with a smooth bore which looked like it could work:

At this point my MOT was due, and I had started discussions with PAW about getting it booked in along with fitting an oil cooler that I touched upon as a requirement earlier.

So that’s where I’m at – I dropped the Sol off at the weekend and Rich will be welding new brackets to the chassis for mounting both the rad and cooler, and filling and bleeding the system obviously prior to the MOT. Hoping to pick her up this Friday :)

SiR_Chris

Post by SiR_Chris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Finally picked her up! I’ll let the photo’s do the talking but I am very happy with how it came out, the engine bay looks awesome "without" a rad! 8)

I will now need to tidy it up a little – change the expansion bottle for an aluminium version and tuck it away, along with the horn.

It is easy to drain and bleed the cooling system and there are no driveability issues thankfully. So another custom touch complete!

With respect to the oil cooler, I opted for a HEL 19-row version with thermostatic Mocal sandwich plate and it was mounted to the right of the rad as you can see above, also in front of the slam panel - so still in direct airflow through the bumper grill. The oil lines have been routed under the side frame rail to be hidden which will help when I finally have it all tucked and smoothed.

Cooling of both the oil and the water is now significantly better, I gave her a good long blast on the motorway and country roads in VTEC a lot and the oil temp never went above 95deg. Job done :D

SiR_Chris

Post by SiR_Chris » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm

One thing I didn’t mention was the bumper mods needed to fit the rad! – I need to remove the aux lights as they interfere with the top corner of the rads. At the moment I have just cut away the bumper plastic that extrudes back to the aux light lens but I have a new front bumper being modified to smooth these out properly…

Chain drilled:

Then cut out:

Before rad was installed:

As she currently sits! –

Many thanks to Rich @ PAW as always for helping me realise my crazy ideas!! :lol: :oops:
Last edited by SiR_Chris on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitin_s1
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)

craig_jdm

Post by craig_jdm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I like that alot 8-)
I hit the limiter in my h23 vtec still didn't kick in

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Great job on the rad!!!!
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Hat off to you mate, this really is a great true custom conversion :clap: I like your thinking around things :)

And that bumper will look so much better once those holes are smoothed over 8) They're the only thing that puts me off the front of a Del Sol ;)

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”