Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Spare-O-Deck 1989

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 pm

whats the point of putting the accord front end on it if your going to the trouble of mating the whole chassis ? why not use the whole floorpan, inner wings, engine, suspension and steering just use the accord body and interior? or use the S14 interior
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

becca
My Generation: 3G

Re: Spare-O-Deck 1989

Post by becca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:23 pm

mercutio wrote:whats the point of putting the accord front end on it if your going to the trouble of mating the whole chassis ? why not use the whole floorpan, inner wings, engine, suspension and steering just use the accord body and interior? or use the S14 interior
Not entirely sure what you're saying...? :?

It would be entirely Accord externally, Accord body. But keeping all the S14 suspension, floorpan, inner wings, engine, steering etc Not just the front end, I was just using that as an example (people often do front end swaps cosmetically).

I'm not sure if you're trying to say the same thing as me or not and I'm just not good at communicating :lol:

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:34 pm

sorry re-read it and makes more sense now I thought when you said make the accord front end fit it I thought you meant the front suspension! not the wings bonnet and bumper

becca

Post by becca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:37 pm

mercutio wrote:sorry re-read it and makes more sense now I thought when you said make the accord front end fit it I thought you meant the front suspension! not the wings bonnet and bumper
:lol: Yeah, I'm not very good at explaining things - I ramble a bit...

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:39 pm

and I tend to speed read :lol:

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Speed reading AKA not reading it properly :lol:

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Donald wrote:Speed reading AKA not reading it properly :lol:
:bat:

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:41 pm

If you did just an engine swap, there's nothing stopping you from taking it for an MOT and putting it back on the road. No SVA needed for an engine swap.

An engine swap doesn't have to be big money, plus cheaper than a body swap. First thing really is to get the engine and box out the Aerodeck, and see what you have space wise, and see how the SR20 size would work in what space you have.
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by 4thgenphil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 pm

S13 rear subframe, pulsar box converted to rwd, custom prop shaft. Job done
:thumbdown:

becca

Post by becca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Crazy_C wrote:If you did just an engine swap, there's nothing stopping you from taking it for an MOT and putting it back on the road. No SVA needed for an engine swap.

An engine swap doesn't have to be big money, plus cheaper than a body swap. First thing really is to get the engine and box out the Aerodeck, and see what you have space wise, and see how the SR20 size would work in what space you have.
I've spent all evening reading up on the SVA... Both on .gov site and forums. (I'm one of those cool kids who spends their weekend evenings doing research apparently 8-) )

To modify the engine mounts for an SR20, and all the modifications to make it rwd (and the complete suspension/hub/brake swap I'd want etc) I'd actually STILL have to inform them and have it tested apparently? As it constitutes a significant modification.

Bruce has a contact in VOSA (now DVSA or whatever) who helped him out when he was going through getting his MOT card, he's going to call him on Monday and discuss options regarding it. See what the test involves and what he thinks the best route to go would be. He's pretty local too.

Forums for classics seem to think that often the best option is indeed to put the body you want on the better chassis containing all the components (engine, susp) you want and have it SVA'd (this apparently also reduces insurance if it's then registered as a total 'new' vehicle with Q plate, rather than declaring a million and one modifications). Triumph, air-cooled beetle, classic Mini forums etc. have been a good source of information for this but it's still seeming a grey area.

The .gov information is vague and conflicting, but it is possible to retain the original registration if certain chassis parts are intact - basically a point system for scoring including the original suspension, engine etc (most of which seem like they would be ticked for the current plan).

If I was to put all of the S14 components into the Aerodeck then it wouldn't conform to the points system any more to be able to keep the current registration and would need to be tested for re-registration:

For radically altered vehicles a points system is used. Vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original identity and avoid the need for an SVA/IVA test. The following values are allocated to the major components used:

chassis OR body shell = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

With the engine swap it would only retain 5 points, as that's 5 points for either, not 5 points each (you need 8 to not have to re-register a car) whereas with the Accord shell on the S14 it would actually retain a lot more. I'd imagine it would still need an IVA though as it would be so radically altered. :?

It's all pretty confusing though and I think my brain has jobby itself and my eyes are going square :lol:

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”