Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Fitting Hybrid Racing Linkage Bushings

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:35 pm

One of the biggest differences I noticed between my old BB9 and my BB8 is that the gear linkage feels very "loose" and "mushy" compared to the old car.
I've been looking for replacement bushings for a while but Honda don't sell them, however I recently stumbled upon these Hybrid Racing ones available from Torque GT:
https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/hybrid-raci ... d-cl1.html

I thought for £20 they're worth a go so I gave them an order, it was strange having something say it was in stock and then actually ship next day unlike a number of other sites I've used previously, kudos to them.

Firstly remove the centre console, I've found the easiest way to do this is to put the car in 3rd, handbrake on, remove the gear knob and two panels either side of the centre console in the foot well, undo the 8 screws listed in the service manual (don't forget the two at the very front), then the back should lift up and pull out towards the rear seats. Make sure to disconnect the reverse light switch as you remove the console.

I started with the smaller of the two bushings which fits on the left hand cable, remove the cotter pin and the linkage pin, then rotate the bushing 90 degrees so that you can push it out from the back (it will only remove one way).
Assembly is the reverse, be careful with the new one though as it's extremely tight when fitting (I ended up going to war with this one and actually chipped a small amount of it off trying to fit it with some pliers so try and avoid using tools if possible). Make sure to push it in at 90 degrees as the original was removed, and it should fit with some effort.
Clean the linkage pin, grease and refit, if you look at the side of the bracket there's a specific orientation to allow the pin to sit deeper and give clearance to fit the cotter pin. Refit (or ideally replace) the cotter pin and that's the hard one down.

The larger bushing is much easier to install and fits on the right hand cable, remove the 10mm nut and washer, slide the cable off the arm and push out the old bushing. Clean and grease the pin, push fit the new bushing and fit the retaining clip by gently working it round the circumference.
Refit the washer (noting the orientation) and the nut, then torque to 9.8Nm, job done!

I only had some silicone spray to hand but I'd recommend grease if you have it, if I can find some tomorrow I will redo this and take some photos to add to this guide.

I've only fit them today but my initial impressions are that there is noticeably less play in the gearstick now and it feels much more similar to how I remember my BB9!

Torque GT also sells these Hybrid Racing bushings for the gearbox end (according to their website they will fit a 97-01 so I believe they should fit 4th and 5th Gens as the gearboxes are the all the same just with different ratios?), if I pick some up I'll document doing these too!
https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/hybrid-raci ... 3-cl7.html
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:48 am

great info and write-up, cheers :thumbup:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”