Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Oil Sump Gasket Replacement

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
jdeale84
My Generation: 5G

Post by jdeale84 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 pm

Hi all, thought I would do a little write up on how to change your oil sump gasket as its a task I undertook last weekend and I probably could have prepared a bit more for it. I was loosing a worrying amount of oil so I thought I would just go ahead and replace it as many gaskets as I can. For this job you'll need your normal hand tools, a socket set, extensions, oil change equipment, since this indirectly involves an oil change and hondabond with some kind of applicator, I used a popsicle stick.

Firstly, safety first, make sure the engine is cold so you don't burn yourself on the exhaust, Jack up the car up at the highest settings on the front end since it'll probably stay like that for a while and you'll want as much space as possible.

You'll need to first drain all the oil, then remove the exhaust downpipe, the bit between the manifold and the cat, shouldn't be more than about 8 bolts, it was 6 for me but I have an aftermarket exhaust. After this its the center frame, its 5 bolts, you might need a breaker bar and I've put the diagram for it in this post so you know what is looks like. Next its the flywheel cover, its about 7 or 8 bolts (I think I was missing one), 6 were 14mm and 2 were 10mm. Now you have full access to the oil pan. Undo the 16 10mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts, the pan itself usually doesn't fall off straight away but maybe keep a jack underneath to catch it if it does. You usually have to pry it off, a good spot to do this is the top left corner if you're looking at the engine from underneath on the floor.

Now that its off, oil will still drip onto the floor so put some cardboard underneath the engine to catch it all. Now this is the tricky part. Depending on your model/year, you will either need to buy a H22 oil sump gasket or just use hondabond. I'm not too sure on which model uses which, I just followed the instructions on the owners manual which said to use hondabond. I will insert the instructions at the bottom. If in doubt, just copy whatever was done last time. You will however need to buy a new "half moon gasket" you can see it in the pictures from the manual. Now, I couldn't find one of these. In truth I didn't know you needed one until I had the oil pan off, the part number is 11251-P5K-000 if you can find one. I ended up just cleaning and reusing mine so we'll see how that turns out.

Make sure that both mating surfaces are as flat and clean as you can make them, scraping off any old gasket or oil. Only use plastic tools, do not use any wire brushes or anything like that, you will scratch the surface and ruin it. With the hondabond, just follow the instructions on the hondabond packet and owners manual and you'll be fine. In a nut shell, spread it as thinly and evenly as possible. Once the oil pan is back on, and you've HAND tightened all of the bolts, leave it for an hour and then tighten it to 12Nm in the pattern the manual says. Once you've done that, well done you're basically there.

Put everything you took off back on, again, tighten everything to spec. Upper exhaust bolts are 54Nm, the 3 bolts by the cat are 33Nm, and replace the 2 exhaust gaskets that you had to take out. The center beam bolts are 59Nm. Don't worry too much about the flywheel cover torque specs just make sure its tight, its just a cover after all. I couldn't find the torque specs for it but if you can then wouldn't hurt to use them.

Ideally leave it overnight to set properly. After that, refill with oil and start the engine. Make sure there's no oil leaks, or exhaust leaks and you should be good to go. Please mention anything I've got wrong or missed and I'll edit this post so its as helpful as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jdeale84
My Generation: 5G

Post by jdeale84 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Realised this is in the wrong section oops :roll: could an admin please move it, thank you :thumbup:

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:18 pm

8) nice write up for 5th gen sump.
4th gen ones have a gasket but still use a bit of hondabond at the corners - just like when doing the rocker cover gasket ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”