Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen Cigarette lighter fuse mystery solved

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
allkiller
My Generation: 5G

5th gen Cigarette lighter fuse mystery solved

Post by allkiller » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 pm

No Lude forum will tell you this, as ive looked for ages when this happened to me and I nearly tore the car apart...then bought another lighter socket as it was suggested everywhere or replace the non existent fuse.
but then it went again last night...so I know its not the bloody lighter it deffo a fuse...well :twisted: found it

Notorious for not having a bloody fuse to replace when it goes pop and you need that lighter power socket for Sat Nag or Phone charger...here what happens...not an quick side of the road fix till now :D
There is no bloody fuse ,,,you wont find one....but now I have...its the smallest unnoticeable fuse ever...its a fuseable link about 2 mm long and connects the spade connector on the back of the lighter to the bloody centre pin

Picture say than a thousand words,,,so here we go

Back of mentioned culprit

Pointing at This tiny rubber covered link is the fuse (fuseable link) :lol: its about 2mm long and joins these two connections ...its this that pops..no lighter...I scraped a little of the rubber away its melted as it blew.

I soldered two wires from a glass fuse holder as that's what I had to hand with 15 amp fuse in...will change to blade fuse later this week

all wired in and working again ...but now with quick replaceable fuse

All back in...now just need to pull out under radio storage box from front to get to fuse...easy fix by the kerb 8-) :geek:

Hope this helps all 5th Gen owners..its not the interior light fuse or radio fuse or a cream Crackered socket... it has fused
and needs repair. :idea:

capture software
Carbon footprint of the Saturn V

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 am

Nice job. Moving this into the How To section.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

allkiller

Post by allkiller » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 am

8-) No Probs had to be a fix for it somehow
Carbon footprint of the Saturn V

thusee
XBOX GamerTag: DA2NV
PSN GamerTag: IDRVSLW

Post by thusee » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Very Nice!

andypont

Post by andypont » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 pm

My lighter has just stopped working. I know what I'm checking first. :)
Andy Pont

MaccaIRL
XBOX GamerTag: MaccaIRL

Re: 5th gen Cigarette lighter fuse mystery solved

Post by MaccaIRL » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:11 pm

andypont wrote:My lighter has just stopped working. I know what I'm checking first. :)
The fuse is under the bonnet and takes literally 10 seconds to check lol

My cd player stopped working and interior light and obva cig ligjter

Threw the head up but later checked a few fuses and the cig lighter powers them all for some reason lol
One fuse later and im back in
Lude-behaviour!

Brigitte

Post by Brigitte » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

allkiller wrote:No Lude forum will tell you this, as ive looked for ages when this happened to me and I nearly tore the car apart...then bought another lighter socket as it was suggested everywhere or replace the non existent fuse.
but then it went again last night...so I know its not the bloody lighter it deffo a fuse...well :twisted: found it

Notorious for not having a bloody fuse to replace when it goes pop and you need that lighter power socket for Sat Nag or Phone charger...here what happens...not an quick side of the road fix till now :D
There is no bloody fuse ,,,you wont find one....but now I have...its the smallest unnoticeable fuse ever...its a fuseable link about 2 mm long and connects the spade connector on the back of the lighter to the bloody centre pin

Picture say than a thousand words,,,so here we go

Back of mentioned culprit

Pointing at This tiny rubber covered link is the fuse (fuseable link) :lol: its about 2mm long and joins these two connections ...its this that pops..no lighter...I scraped a little of the rubber away its melted as it blew.

I soldered two wires from a glass fuse holder as that's what I had to hand with 15 amp fuse in...will change to blade fuse later this week

all wired in and working again ...but now with quick replaceable fuse

All back in...now just need to pull out under radio storage box from front to get to fuse...easy fix by the kerb 8-) :geek:

Hope this helps all 5th Gen owners..its not the interior light fuse or radio fuse or a cream Crackered socket... it has fused
and needs repair. :idea:

capture software
Have obviously the same problem, would like to follow your instructions but have no clue how you removed the panel to get to the culprit. Have you removed the radio as well? Would be great you give me instructions for a dummy. ;)

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”