Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Gear knob removal 4th gen

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
bb1boy
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 pm

and it would be, the big block now hangs underneath the gear knob instead of being pushed inside it.

bb1boy

Post by bb1boy » Tue May 27, 2014 3:12 pm

...either that or the gaiter has been pulled clean off it... confusing.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Tue May 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Looking at it, I think the gaiter has been pulled right off the silver part. This also means things are now much easier.

@c_doughty1 - just unscrew it as is, the silver bit is detached from the gaiter so you'll be fine doing that - no need to separate them!
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

bb1boy

Post by bb1boy » Tue May 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Flex those muscles mate, it'll be tight if its never come off before!

c_doughty1
Supporter 2014

Post by c_doughty1 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:16 pm

bb1boy wrote:No. The silver block and the silver rim are the same piece, the block fits inside the gear knob. If you look at it you can see the black knob with silver trim at the bottom, put screwdriver between the black plastic of the knob and the silver rim, pop it down and the block will come out of the knob, the knob can then be unscrewed from the gear stick.
Thats exactly were ive been trying but the silver rim is breaking and all the silver colour of that rim covering is coming off too.
I have a horrible feeling some muffin has drokking glued it as i used considerable force to get that nob off and no joy. :x

c_doughty1
Supporter 2014

Post by c_doughty1 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:17 pm

indigolemon wrote:Looking at it, I think the gaiter has been pulled right off the silver part. This also means things are now much easier.

@c_doughty1 - just unscrew it as is, the silver bit is detached from the gaiter so you'll be fine doing that - no need to separate them!
So just twist counter clockwise? As the gaiter is already down?

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Tue May 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Yep, like taking the lid off a bottle :)
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

c_doughty1
Supporter 2014

Post by c_doughty1 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 pm

ok so i slid the gaiter down over the silver block and thats all have achieved basically i tried putting a flat headed screw driver between the black plastic of the knob and the silver rim and it would not budge what is the purpose of getting that silver block to slip down if i can just twist the knob off?

bb1boy

Post by bb1boy » Tue May 27, 2014 4:27 pm

The silver piece stops the knob from being unscrewed.

If it is glued on, wrap a towel around the gear knob and make with the mole grips.. then put up a wanted add for a new gear knob and chrome bit :lol: :lol:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Tue May 27, 2014 4:30 pm

The silver bit attaches the gaiter to the knob, so normally you can't unscrew the knob as the gaiter would twist and stop you unless the silver bit is disconnected. BUT - the gaiter is no longer connected to the silver bit, this is no longer an issue, so just unscrew the knob and silver bit in one go!

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”