Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Do's and Dont's of car storage

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Nice idea - if it genuinely keeps things dry. Let us know how you get on, please.
International Pensioner of Mystery

Blarge
My Generation: 4G

Post by Blarge » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 am

@prahunt Just a few thoughts that might help, these are few things I do with my family classic cars.

I would treat the underside of the car prior to storage, get rid of the rust or at least treat it before it takes further hold and wax oil it to protect the car. A good wire brushing on a ramp and a clean inside the arches to clean any mud/salt etc. Karcher do an attachment for under the car that might be useful. A good wash and Wax wouldn't hurt! Chock the wheels and remove the battery, you can get trickle chargers designed for keeping the batteries in good condition but I find it cheaper just to remove the battery. A tarp can damage the paint work and will leave permanent marks, we found this out the hard way! I'm yet to see what the car cover does to the MGB GT this year! Its one of the Halfords premium ones.

I also drain and flush the coolant to make sure its correct before storage if its outside its a lot cheaper than what could happen at worst. I also grease all the hinges and check the car for leaks. You don't want to find a puddle in your car in 6 months. I would put the car on axle stands if possible or you could be getting new tyres :( It might be a good time to get the wheels done :) If you do leave the wheels on I would also grease the wheel nuts, its a lot easier to take them off should it be needed in future. I also think those dehumidifier packs are a good idea and I will be adding them in the cars shortly.

Ben

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am

as nafe said get a couple of UNIBOND aero 360 in there with the windows up. I would also seriously consider getting a cheap 12v solar panel and a computer fan linked up in there. Either outside the car to keep the atmosphere moving or inside for the same. Mold cant live easy in well circulated areas and condensation cant form easily either. You dont need to worry about changing batteries or anything either. You know if there is even a hint of sun that the fan will be working. Costs about £15 to set up.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

johnierice
My Generation: 5G

Post by johnierice » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 pm

paul bristol uk wrote:
BlackMwack wrote:Aren't concrete garages bad for paintwork?
Only if they fall on it.
:lol:

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”