Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rust removal

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
c_doughty1
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 4G

Rust removal

Post by c_doughty1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:14 pm

What product would you say is the best for rust removal other than the obvious of cutting it out and starting again with new metal....like sprays or gels.....I've seen a lot advertised for sale but are any actually any good?

RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Bilt Hamber. The do awesome products and guides on all their products.

Blarge

Post by Blarge » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:05 pm

@c_doughty1 What sort of things do you need to remove the rust from?

I have used the kurust on small items after using a flap disc on the area to kill the rust. If its something you can dip I have recently bought some Molasses for rusted parts. I understand if you mix with water and soak the rusty items the solution removes and kills the rust and leaves metal clean.

[youtube][/youtube]

Molasses
http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws ... ductID=179

For chassis work and heavily rusted items I have been using phosphoric acid as it seems to really get rid of the rust on the farm machinery but will also take paint with it. The nearest stuff I could find similar to mine is rust off on Amazon.

Hope it helps

Ben

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:29 pm

As described above by others, or removal by mechanical means (grinding/abrading)

You can get your phosporic acid here @vtecmec dipped his entire car in it whole! ;) :hurr: *

ps
:evil: turns out you can't be clever and embed a tag within a url linky :troll:

* he didn't really dip his whole car... just did it all piece by piece instead!

c_doughty1
Supporter 2014

Re: Rust removal

Post by c_doughty1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 am

Blarge wrote:@c_doughty1 What sort of things do you need to remove the rust from?

I have used the kurust on small items after using a flap disc on the area to kill the rust. If its something you can dip I have recently bought some Molasses for rusted parts. I understand if you mix with water and soak the rusty items the solution removes and kills the rust and leaves metal clean.

[youtube][/youtube]

Molasses
http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws ... ductID=179

For chassis work and heavily rusted items I have been using phosphoric acid as it seems to really get rid of the rust on the farm machinery but will also take paint with it. The nearest stuff I could find similar to mine is rust off on Amazon.

Hope it helps

Ben
I basically want to convert any existing rust under the car back to a workable metal before using an oil / wax based product to extend it's life. It's not got that much rust to be honest only tiny bits

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:04 pm

I painstakingly worked through the entire car, which was as rotten as a pear at the beginning. It's all on the link in my sig, though it might take a while to read through it all!

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”