Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Fix 5G rear number plate recess sagging

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
CARRisma
My Generation: 5G

Fix 5G rear number plate recess sagging

Post by CARRisma » Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Originally posted on PUK on 10/04/2012:
Yes, and before you JDM owners gloat - I know you don't have this problem!

This is to fix the issue where the rear number plate recess / holder drops down a few mm and sags in the middle so it is no longer a straight edge along the top.
  • 1) Pull up the rear number plate recess as far as it will go and mark its position along the top with a strip of tape.

2) Remove rear number plate recess. There are 5 plastic clips along the top outside and from memory there are 3 screws inside.

3) Along the top of the rear number plate recess there is a groove which the rear bumper slots into. Fill it with silicon sealant.

4) Refit the rear number plate recess and pull it up tightly so it's inline with your previous marked line.

5) Securely hold it in place with strips of tape. Duck tape is good.

6) After maybe 24 hours, carefully remove the tape and excess silicon sealant.
Rear number plate recess groove filled with silicon sealant:

Rear number plate recess held in place with duck tape:

Completed:

I should have added that the rear number plate recess groove and part of the rear bumper that slots into it, need cleaning first, with something like white spirits or turps, but that goes without saying.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”