Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Power steering cooler feed pipe (advice required)

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
TazsLude
My Generation: 5G

Post by TazsLude » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 am

Hi guys a quick question for anyone who can answer if possible 🤣

I have the power steering cooling pipe that connects from a rubber hose on to a metal pipe that runs from behind the engine and along the right hand side of the engine bay which is clamped, the pipe has corroded it's a 10mm pipe and I have managed to pull it out with great effort as it was rusted and I was waiting for a friend to make me the steering cooler that sits behind the front bumper. Whilst waiting I thought I would take it out to replace it's a metal pipe that's rusted and going to replace it with 10mm copper pipe. Has anyone thought of replacing it with copper pipe or know if that is something that will be ok as it feeds from a rubber hose and feeds into a rubber hose on both ends it comes past/below the power steering fluid reservoir down into a small rubber hose which attaches to the front power steering cooler?

Any help would be required there was a leak on it and just want the car in an able position to get other work done at a friends place in Inverkeithing who is going to work his magic on the car 😊

Thanks in advance guys

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am

I replaced mine with a pipe years ago, does the job well.

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:50 am

Vtecmec wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am
I replaced mine with a pipe years ago, does the job well.
Vtecmec thanks for the response was it definitely a copper pipe you replaced it with?

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:14 am

I thought about this to, as my old one rusted through , so I looped it off. In a few years time this lude will have the same issue no doubt.

What i would like to find is a tool that creates the ridge on the pipe to ensure a propper sealing surface ring, but I don;t know the name of the tool.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am

I used an aluminium pipe, but a copper would do fine.

Also looping it off works fine too as we're not really in the hottest of climates.

Replacement coolers can be had from Rockauto, also @wurlycorner has found a replacement from other vehicles which are pretty much identical.

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 am

Scott560 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:14 am
I thought about this to, as my old one rusted through , so I looped it off. In a few years time this lude will have the same issue no doubt.

What i would like to find is a tool that creates the ridge on the pipe to ensure a propper sealing surface ring, but I don;t know the name of the tool.
Thanks Scott

I'm assuming your talking about the pipe beading which is a ridge at the end of the pipe for where the rubber hose holds on to a certain extent so it doesn't slip off? If so you need a beading tool mate I think I will be going in with the copper pipes I just got a roll of 10 meters 10mm copper pipes yesterday morning and going to try and get a draper pipe bender today from the toolstation and get bits and pieces sorted to attack the work.

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:39 am

Vtecmec wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am
I used an aluminium pipe, but a copper would do fine.

Also looping it off works fine too as we're not really in the hottest of climates.

Replacement coolers can be had from Rockauto, also @wurlycorner has found a replacement from other vehicles which are pretty much identical.
Hi Vtec I'm not talking about the cooler pipe itself but the pipe that leads to it from under the back at the engine alongside the right hand side and to the front that eventually goes into the oil cooler sir

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 am

Do you mean part number 28?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:29 am

Personally, I wouldn't use copper - that's a material that isn't anywhere in the power steering system currently (it's all aluminium/steel/rubber). Introducing a new dissimilar material could cause an issue - you don't know how the power steering fluid will react with it. You could cause issues with corrosion, excessive wear etc.
If you're going to DIY the repair, then use aluminium.

Unfortunately these pipes aren't available new from Honda anymore. I'm currently in the process of replacing some rotted out ones on my ukdm 4g, from a usable spare set I had scavenged off a car I broke.

I have been thinking of looking into getting a batch of pattern pipes made up for sale (probably out of aluminium) but not had a chance yet.

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:00 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:29 am
Unfortunately these pipes aren't available new from Honda anymore.
The 5g is available still on Lings (not that it really helps you Wurly - more for the OP): https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partsca ... f/B__3361/

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”