Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

How to Fit a 5th Gen Glass Sunroof into a 4th Gen

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I think it's just a washer that's needed between the runner and the glass. I think there is a write up on PUK somewhere, but I can't find it.

W1ggz
PSN GamerTag: W1GGZ

Post by W1ggz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 am

Sam if it gets quite at work this week ill pull mine out and take a couple of pics it will only take 10mins

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer
My Generation: 5G

Post by honda-hardy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm

thanks guys.

eDaniel
LotM Winner

Post by eDaniel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 am

@Vtecmec I did most of the conversion steps yesterday. Actually the sunroof is now on my car and I'm still to add the support for the rear headliner and also I have to cut the motor bracket. The problem I'm having is that the sunroof panel is not sitting perfectly aligned meaning that at the fully closed state the front of the panel sits higher than the rear. If I press (for just a second) the button to open the sunroof it will align properly. Is there a way to adjust this? Do you have this problem?

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:35 pm

I did have to align it a little using the E shaped shims between the car and assembly, it sounds like you may have to remove a few to the rear to bring it up a little (assuming you have shims in there already?).

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the guide vtecmec, I fitted one for Paul Bristol UK today. Some pics from the day:

Havn't fitted the rear panel yet, ran out of time while fixing the ABS fault with a 'bodge' light jump for MOT time. Worth noting my cutting for the ceiling light, I went too far and was left with no metal to fix one side to. Might be worth adding to the write up that you need to redo the two fixings for the light in different locations as it sits more forward on the frame otherwise.

Overall though, went really well thanks to this write-up.

Also got the sunroof perfectly level, looks a little off in the first pic, but in person it sits perfect. Had 4 shims drivers rear and 3 shims passenger rear. None on the front mounts. :wink:

Cheers,

Rob

paul bristol uk

Post by paul bristol uk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 am

What can I say, Rob spent about eight hours working his guts out doing this. Jenny and I were more than happy with the result.Its a cracking job(I am not sure Rob would want to do this again especially in the blazing heat) So to sum up a very big thank you to Rob for doing all this and to vtecmec for his guide!

It just goes to show what a great deal of knowledge there is on this forum and great members as well! :D
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:05 pm

well done rob 8-)
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

nucleustylzlude

Re: 5th Gen Glass Sunroof into a 4th How To

Post by nucleustylzlude » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 pm

No worries Paul, nice to see you and get some things done on your lude to get you and Jenny driving it. Plus its always fun tinkering on a lude, even if it wasn't my own! :lol:

Just have to figure out how to fix the interior light up on the passenger side and then the rear headlining - annoying I ran out of time. That ABS fix was a pain in the ass! :lol: For the others, I spent a little time soldering a jumper wire for his ABS light to come on and go out with another, for MOT time. Tried twice and it was still coming on and staying on. Thought we'd wired it to the TCS light, which goes out after a second with the ignition on. Realised by the third attempt at redoing the soldering and checking the breaks I made in the board to realise we'd changed our mind and jumped it to the battery light! :roll: That goes out on startup! Anyway, all sorted now. Well kind of, ABS is still well and truly broke with the dreaded Code 1! :lol:

Oh and Paul, don't forget to remove that trim piece on the old sunroof surround! I wonder if it might fit the edge of the headliner to finish it off a little better. Don't bin the frame with it on! ;)

paul bristol uk

Post by paul bristol uk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Robs telling me not to bin the sunroof surround(which I wont) so that it will fit the headliner better. Take a look at the last pic I don't see much wrong with that! :D
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”