Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

What's needed to put a jdm ecu in a uk car?

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Red motegi
My Generation: 5G

What's needed to put a jdm ecu in a uk car?

Post by Red motegi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

I remember sometime ago reading you could swap ecu,s from jdm to uk cars OR!!! Vice-versa is my mind playing me tricks or is this possible??? I seem to also remember ramblings of "OBD1" (or similar) harness converters being used,,,, cam someone enlighten me??

jozefsan
My Generation: 4G

Post by jozefsan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm

depend all on what car model and what ecu.

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm

if you have a 5g then i am not sure it will work buddy i think its been tried but there are ways round it a conversion harness will be needed though
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Ok the thought is type-s motor and ecu into what was originally a motegi vtec, the compression, cams etc are the same, ok the throttle body I believe is a little bigger on the type-s and no 4ws but I recon it's do able, given the similarities between the engine, is it feasible that it could actually work on the motegi ecu?? Or would the ecu throw a strop?? I know people have stated an accord type-r lump could be easier but this the conversion I'd like to do.

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm

when you say type s engine your not planning on putting the atts in then.
The type s and atr share the same cams and as far as i know same compression but the atr has a different intake manifold its the same engine.
The motegi vtec depending on whether its a h22a h22a5 or h22a8 are all different compression ratios the cams are also different between the a8 and the other 2
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

A8 and TypeS engines are identical except I believe the TypeS has a p&p head whereas the A8 doesn't. Something is telling me the IM is improved on the S too although I'm not sure on that one. Throttle bodies are the same.

Unless you're swapping an A5 for the TypeS, IMO you're wasting your time and money, unless of course you retrofit the rest of the TypeS stuff.

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Certainly food for thought there thanks peeps,,,,
I do have to say these Honda,s are bloody not very straight forward are they? I have other jap cars and you can pretty much take a lump out of one and chuck it in another, example skyline rb25 or 26 are common going in sx,s or even early zeds, how much of an arse is it for people sticking h22,s in civics??, not having a pop at Honda, just things don't seem quite as straight forward as others.... And having owned a lot of jap cars I also have to add that the lude is one of the most underrated cars out there,,,,,handles, goes, stable, etc etc. Brill cars.finished with legendary Honda build quality.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 am

Honda's are high comp, quite highly strung cars. Being less than accurate with mods and swaps will only screw things up.

On a 5th gen I dont think there is any point in putting a JDM ECU in the car. In 4th gens the only time you would consider this is when the JDM ECU is chipped. In the 5th we do not get chipped ECU's so there is no point. If you were to fit a JDM ECU you would also need to retrofit a knock sensor as UKDM H22a5's lack one. The later UKDM H22a8's do have a knock sensor.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Red motegi

Post by Red motegi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Ahhhhhhh,,,, again thanks for input there... I am learning..

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”