Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Door lock mechanism

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
kris_aka_edu
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: chris aka edu

Door lock mechanism

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm trying to work out why my passenger door won't open. It opens fine from the inside on the handle but not on the outside.
I've taken off the outside handle and inside door trim and you can easily see that the mechanism is not tight and its just sliding up and down an adjustable slider. But I can't get to the slider to tighten it up. Hopefully the pictures make sense?

How can I adjust this to tighten it up?

Please reply with pictures :)

It's the little sliddy asjuster in this picture that you can see it easiest.

Quick replies please how do I take all the door apart? To get to this mechanism as the adjuster screw is facing the door lock in line with the rear of the car.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Those purple clips you can see pop off upwards, then the rods pull out. The handle unscrews from the rod in question. Once those are removed you should be able to get the mech out. Can't remember if you need to wiggle the window runner a bit too.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

kris_aka_edu

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 pm

It's the slider the opposite side of the purple things. That seems to be moving with the handle and not connected to the lock mechanism. Hmm

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah, think you'll need to get the whole thing out to check that part though, sure it's part of the door catch assembly.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

kris_aka_edu

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Ill give it a go now and let you know how I get on its hard trying to describe something like this.

kris_aka_edu

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Right got it out. Just about here's a picture of the bit in problem. This links up to the door Handel on the outside but it doesn't pull the catch to move. I don't know if its bent or it has to be tight on the slider? It looks like a rivet so can't be screwed up tighter like I first thought.

Another angle..

kris_aka_edu

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Could it be this rod that's bent? I don't know if it is or not. I'm not technical! :(

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Hmm, the rod usually has a bend in it iirc. Be interested to see how this looks on a known good one, been trying to find a pic on google with no luck.

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Compare it to the other door.

kris_aka_edu

Post by kris_aka_edu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I found a picture on eBay. It didnt look much different but I've worked out what it was, the door handle rod wasnt down low enough on the thread. So now I've put the door handle back on differently on the thread... Put everything back on. And......

It's working!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hail: :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”