Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5g Prelude S2K/EP3/DC5 Steering Wheel Install

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Lude-dude
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Vtec Junky
PSN GamerTag: Rob7niner

5g Prelude S2K/EP3/DC5 Steering Wheel Install

Post by Lude-dude » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 am

Just a small guide on how to do this, finding a honda steering wheel with airbag for a reasonable price is probably the hard part, but worthwhile mod IMO nice replacement for my orginal which had seen better days..

I have installed the s2k wheel, but applies to the EP3 and DC5 wheels also, aftermarket hubs can also be modified using this method..

start buy disconnecting battery and remove plastic covers on the steering wheel, and unscrew the bolts holding on the airbag, and unplug the yellow connector

gently remove the airbag and you will be left with this:

unplug the horn and cruise control, take off the main bolt holding on the wheel and remove the steering wheel may have to give it bit of a tap but don't tug on to hard otherwise the cable reel might fly off :roll: and try to keep everything straight, otherwise you will have to recentre it all..

the 4ws steering sensor is circled above, standard wheels like the s2k don't have this notch so this will have to be filed out using a round file, the other notches are for indicator cancels. use the old steering to compare and try and be exact as you can.

should now fit snug over all the notches make sure you wheel is straight and line up the cable reel holes. bolt on your wheel plug in your horn and put your airbag back in. It must be a single stage airbag (2pin connector) not sure if early models or later had these, or USDM only had dual stage airbags.

done and hopefully your 4ws light will stay out and rear wheels will turn check this before you go for a test drive. feels better than the old wheel its smaller and gives me more leg room :D feels meater too.

If 4ws light or SRS light do stay on, then appropriate resets will need to be done, although unlikely if you disconnected the battery.

the s2k wheel never had cruise control so I just screwed my old one onto the wheel, and made a hole for the connector. easier than if it had the s2k controls.

H22a5 UKDM 2.2 VTI 244Bhp 180lbs/ft Crower stage 2
http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t3211.html

Kawa
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:31 pm

nice one 8-)

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Just to add that You will need to add the same notch if you have ATTS. :idea:

If you have a BB6 with no ATTS and no 4WS, like mine, then no need for the notch. :twisted:

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Iv filed out my notch pretty much exactly and put the wheel back on but it feels like the notchs are not fitting in and the wheel wont sit flush. BUT i cannot remember if it this is how its meant to be. Cannot drive it either and see if the indicators cancel or if ATTS works.

From what i can tell the notch doesnt have to be exact. The whole sensor notch moves as a whole so as long as you clear the 4ws/atts notch the indicators will grab it. Am i correct in thiking this?

Lude-dude

Post by Lude-dude » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:55 pm

maybe turn the wheel pull it off see if the sensor is turning with it, from what I remember to get it right took a couple of tries

how does it match up with the steering cover? I say if it does not feel flush then its probably not

may need to file a touch more

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Lude-dude wrote:maybe turn the wheel pull it off see if the sensor is turning with it, from what I remember to get it right took a couple of tries

how does it match up with the steering cover? I say if it does not feel flush then its probably not

may need to file a touch more
Yer it turns. Maybe it just not a mm not deep enough and that makes a big difference. Will file some more. 2 hours of filling so far. :evil:

macky_6

Post by macky_6 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Is the notch you need to file for the ATTS/4WS the same depth/width as the other notches :?:

I take it if the you are holding the wheel as you would when you are driving, then spin it around to the back, then the notch goes at the 9 o'clock position :?:

@Lude-dude@RattyMcClelland :?: :?:

:D

Lude-dude

Post by Lude-dude » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

roughly same depth yes, might take some trial and error

use the old wheel to mark out the notch

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:34 pm

As above

macky_6

Post by macky_6 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey guys,

I test fitted my ep3 wheel and drove the car for a while to see if i liked it. Obviously i did :D

Anyway, as i hadn't filed the notch when i turned the wheel the indicators didn't self cancel and i am guessing this is because the wheel wasn't sitting flush?

My real problem is this:

I removed the wheel so i could now file the notch but when i did i noticed that the lugs that catch the notches are not in the 12oclock/6oclock position. The wheel was dead straight when removed.

So when i mount my wheel, is it gonna be squinty? Or will it be ok and just catch the notches as it turns?

cheers :?

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”