Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Nathan's Daily Drive BB4

Tell us about your old honda preludes that you used to own.
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Re: Nathan's Daily Drive BB4

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:01 pm

vanzep wrote:you dont fancy doing the same on another headlight.....
just i know someone who really liked that mod....
me :)
also need to fit front indicators into the 1 piece jdms im putting on next spring..

good repair on the sideskirts - put them on your daily and put a bit of tape over your oil pressure light :lol:
Not really bud :lol: It'd be a doddle to do again, but it's having somewhere designated to doing it that's the problem. As it was I did it in my kitchen :? I doesn't really matter if I make a mess as I'm planning to gut the thing anyway soon enough, but I still have to tidy up after each stage and it's just a head ache :roll:

My how-to is pretty indepth though, so you could always try you're own hand at it ;-)

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:11 pm

:lol: it was a long shot....
might be a good winter project 8-) with help of your thread ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Potential Uh oh!

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am

Well I'm currently having a bit of a scary time :? Almost two months ago now I parked the lude up as the oil light had flickered on twice and I was waiting for my mechanic neighbour who has access to a four post lift to swap the oil pressure switch for a new one hoping that's all it was.

The light had flickered on once when I pulled up in a parking space and then when straight back out again, which led me to checking the oil level only to discover it was below the minimum level only 6 months after I'd replaced the oil. And then once again two days after that (after I'd refilled the oil) on the second return journey from work. (It flickered on when I slowed up coming up to a mni roundabout and then when straight back off again). Since then I've parked her up and been waiting for my neighbour to swap pressure switches.

Anyway, after I put the pressure on him a bit over the weekend (As I need the lude back on the road so I can SORN the Aerodeck for a bit whilst I save up to get it's rust sorted). I started her up to make sure she would after being sat so long. I noticed the fuel was on empty, so I let her warm up and then went to get fuel. All this time the oil light remained off. I'm thinking this is a good thing! Pressure switch has obviously decided to sort itself out. But no sooner had I thought the thought it bloody flickers on and then off again. Just like before, it came on when I slowed up, but then as soon as I'm stopped it goes off again. Then gradually as I journeyed home, is started staying on as I was stopped at junctions and roundabouts, but with just the slightest bit on pressure on the accelerator pedal the light would go straight out! :?

Anyway, my neighbour finally got her to the garage last night and it turns out that the oil pressure on cold idle is a mere 25psi and then at hot idle it drops right down to nothing! :shock: :cry:

So there's two most likely scenarios...

1... The best scenario is it's just the oil pick up is blocked and needs cleaning out. The car was orginally running on 10w40 and when I did the change 6 months ago I switched to 5w40, which shouldn't really have caused any effect, but if not enough oil is getting through the pump might just be frothing the oil up.

2... The worst case scenario is the oil pump is knackered, in which case... jobby :facepalm:

I can't really afford to get it fixed if it's that, so I'm not entirely sure what would happen to her yet :? If it is that the cheaper option would be to drop a known good engine in her. I toyed with dropping the Project's engine in her, but that's been sat for two years, practically fully stripped, so there's no guarantees with that one with out work on it. So I may just look at buying a cheapy car, but that would also mean I break the Lude ( :roll: ) which has it's advantages with regards to the project (I can refurb and swap parts over), but I didn't really want to be doing that in my current setup of no garage and that'd be 4 cars SORN :roll: :lol:

So yeah... :|

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 am

Not good to hear :(
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 am

Call to PAW? Two fold - he may have an oil pump for sale, that might lessen the blow?
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

I'll give him a call then... @PerformanceAutoworks ;)

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

:D
Seems such a mint example, you have to sort it! (Says he who has a dirty tax bill to pay, so I know what you mean :( )

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

PerformanceAutoworks

Post by PerformanceAutoworks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:39 am

Pretty sure I have no spare oil pumps I'm afraid.
If I am breaking an engine due to a failure (bearing or similar) then the first thing to go in the bin is usually the oil pump simply because I personally wouldn't re-use it and I wouldn't want to sell it.
If it's a known good engine then it doesn't get broken down.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am

I assumed Benny meant a new one, but no worries either way :)

Do you however sell sump gaskets Rich? Vtectom has pointed me in your direction also for one of those.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm

NafemanNathan wrote:I assumed Benny meant a new one, but no worries either way :)
Either/Or, but figured that may be the case regarding used ones.

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Return to “Gone but not forgotten”