Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Blank

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

wurlycorner wrote:Merlin, timing being slightly out... I thought I'd read a post from you that said it wasn't possible to adjust the timing on 5th gens? (ODB2 yo! I think you put it as, or something like that!)
Have I remembered that wrongly then?

But yes, otherwise that could well explain the problem?
Yeah on OBDII cars the timing cannot be adjusted but the OP says he has a p28 with Neptune. So he should have a OBDI conversion. As said I would check the timing but you will have to find the correct set timing procedure for Neptune. The OEM way is to short the service connector and start the engine before doing any adjustments, the Hondata way is to plug the laptop in and tell the ECU to stop making adjustments. Neptune will probably require something similar.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Tue May 13, 2014 9:19 am

i can take a picture of a known type S engine I have in my garage so you can compare if you want?
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Tue May 13, 2014 9:23 am

if it looks like this then you are swimming in gravy but you have a problem, if not you have your answer.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

bb1boy
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Tue May 13, 2014 9:33 am

Stupid us and our pointless questions! :facepalm: :clap:

:lol: :lol:

As a side question, does anyone know why I'm not getting any wastegate chatter on my 'Lude? ..and I don't want any smart-arse questions like, "do you even have a turbo, bro?"... I know I have turbo, there is a turbo badge on the back.. well, 'turbo' has been written in the dirt.. but I know it's there..

GreenyUK
Supporter 2014

Post by GreenyUK » Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 am

Merlin wrote:
wurlycorner wrote:Merlin, timing being slightly out... I thought I'd read a post from you that said it wasn't possible to adjust the timing on 5th gens? (ODB2 yo! I think you put it as, or something like that!)
Have I remembered that wrongly then?

But yes, otherwise that could well explain the problem?
Yeah on OBDII cars the timing cannot be adjusted but the OP says he has a p28 with Neptune. So he should have a OBDI conversion. As said I would check the timing but you will have to find the correct set timing procedure for Neptune. The OEM way is to short the service connector and start the engine before doing any adjustments, the Hondata way is to plug the laptop in and tell the ECU to stop making adjustments. Neptune will probably require something similar.
You have to short the service connector? Why is this :?
I set my timing on my 4thG so obd1 and it's been fine?
Donald wrote:I think the best bet is to probably all try to enter together.

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 am

:facepalm: :worms:

GreenyUK
Supporter 2014

Post by GreenyUK » Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 am

bb1boy wrote:Stupid us and our pointless questions! :facepalm: :clap:

:lol: :lol:

As a side question, does anyone know why I'm not getting any wastegate chatter on my 'Lude? ..and I don't want any smart-arse questions like, "do you even have a turbo, bro?"... I know I have turbo, there is a turbo badge on the back.. well, 'turbo' has been written in the dirt.. but I know it's there..
Have you tried increasing the wastegate size to 256.789mm I believe this might do it :lol:
Donald wrote:I think the best bet is to probably all try to enter together.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 am

GreenyUK wrote:You have to short the service connector? Why is this :?
I set my timing on my 4thG so obd1 and it's been fine?
@GreenyUK

When using an OEM ECU you have to short the service connector in order to set the base timing, this stops any interference from the ECU. The ECU then uses the base timing to advance/retard timing for different revs. If you did not short the connector your timing will be set wrong so you need to do it again.

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/honda-p ... 11854.html

I/we reset the timing on Vanzep's and Indigolemon's cars and it made a big difference to both.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue May 13, 2014 10:58 am

Timing can be adjusted on some obd2 prelude. Via the dizzy. All the sensors on the td89u dizzy are built it. The yanks cannot do this for example.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 am

LLL - good job with the pics ( :think: doesn't look like your garage though? :lol: )

Guys, some of the recent posts could do with being chilled out a bit though - we all make mistakes and as a newbie on here it can take a little while to suss out how some people on here work.

Anyway, back OT...
Leaving aside whether it's a Type-S engine or not (and therefore what the 'base' power of the engine that he's tuning should be) as a basic question, whatever was in there to start with, should there be an improvement in power possible after changing from any of the standard lude cams (incl. Type S) to Skunk Pro stage 1 with adjustable cam pulleys?
My suspicion is it should be possible?
Even if the Skunk cam profiles are no better than the Type S ones (assuming that's what they were), the adjustable pulleys should mean you can still achieve an improvement?
Is that right???

Return to “Tuning”