Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Sooo whos got the highest bhp N/A setup!?

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Merlin wrote:
Drax wrote:I sense something "in the make" here you want to keep hush ;)
I am probably getting rid of the Fujitsubo manifold and going for a Hytech replica and going full 3" from the collector back. We'll see if I have any negative effects from reduced cylinder scavenging :?.
ive had a quote for a 3" catback for £350, but in mild steel not stainless. ive heard mixed things about the Hytech rep but you know better than me, so if its successful then myself and other sheep will follow you .....baa !! :lol: typical Welshman I am, if im not acting like a sheep then im shag...*cough* nevermind....
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Drax wrote:
Merlin wrote:
I am probably getting rid of the Fujitsubo manifold and going for a Hytech replica and going full 3" from the collector back. We'll see if I have any negative effects from reduced cylinder scavenging :?.
ive had a quote for a 3" catback for £350, but in mild steel not stainless. ive heard mixed things about the Hytech rep but you know better than me, so if its successful then myself and other sheep will follow you .....baa !! :lol: typical Welshman I am, if im not acting like a sheep then im shag...*cough* nevermind....
There are only minor complications in fitting a Hytech rep, nothing negative about the performance.

JEBB4
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 5G

Post by JEBB4 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Well thanks all, ive got a good idea of what I wna do..
now to keep my eyes open for the bits :shock:

also I am putting mine on a rolling road on 30th of this month so will see what im currently running. . :P
What do you guys think I can expect?
(under 200bhp I will be disappointed)
Place your bets here :lol:
Rebuilt H22A,
4-2-1 stainless Heatwrapped manifold,
Silenced decat, 2.25 stainless mid, tsudo backbox,
Cheap ebay long arm intake pipe with apexi filter,
spoon chipped ecu (8.5k limiter)
Jamie P 2013 wrote:i like tits :D
My BB6 build
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54187

My BB2 build (yang)(WRITTEN OFF AND SOLD)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18866

My BB4 build (yin) (SOLD TO DRAX)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12087&hilit=JEBB4+ ... ty#p203321

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

NafemanNathan wrote:
Drax wrote:
Merlin wrote:
There are only minor complications in fitting a Hytech rep, nothing negative about the performance.
ah ha I see, I did see those posts on PUK but didn't know if there were others. good to know, thanks nath :geek:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm

I have a traction bar so fitment should not be too much of an issue, plus I'll be getting it professionally fitted and welded (I don't fancy the look of the spring clips).

I paid £600 for my custom 3" stainless steel exhaust. I retained around a foot section of 2.5" pipe after the collector (the Fujitsubo has a 2.5" collector) to aid cylinder scavenging (was advised to do this). However I am sure the Hytech's primaries are bigger than the Fujitsubo's so the above point is moot.

The sound of the 3" system is awesome though :twisted:
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 pm

[quote="JEBB4"]Well thanks all, ive got a good idea of what I wna do..
now to keep my eyes open for the bits :shock:

also I am putting mine on a rolling road on 30th of this month so will see what im currently running. . :P
What do you guys think I can expect?
(under 200bhp I will be disappointed)
Place your bets here :lol:
Rebuilt H22A, 197bhp
4-2-1 stainless Heatwrapped manifold, If ebay special, no real gains, just a different tone.
Silenced decat, 2.25 stainless mid, tsudo backbox, <5bhp
Cheap ebay long arm intake pipe with apexi filter, Is your resonator removed then? Is the filter behind the bumper? Depending on this, due to heat-soak you could be looking at anywhere from -<5to +<5bhp
spoon chipped ecu (8.5k limiter) <10bhp depending on how good/genuine it is.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works there is an alternative to engine work ;) A gearbox with a modified final drive. Buying an aftermarket final drive, even with installation costs, will give a bigger bang for buck than most engine mods IMO. MFactory touts the 4.64 FD to have between a 9-12% increase in effective torque over the JDM 4.266 FD.

I have the MFactory 4.64 FD and it is amazeballs!
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:36 pm

If I were you, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's much over the 200bhp mark, however stand alone dyno readings are hugely subjective, so who knows!
They're a great comparator when you do back-back cars on the same dyno (which is why club dyno days are so good), but otherwise the results are very difficult to draw conclusions from really.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:24 pm

I'll wade in here just to say that Merlin is exactly right about an extra bhp costing a lot more money.
I was offered the 'next step up' as it were when I got my work done - it would have put me in the 270-280 range, but without getting too in depth would have cost a good few thousand on top.
What I like about my build and the reason I went for it is that it's mainly Honda parts, with a little extra fettling and a few choice goodies, which should mean it's very reliable. I know that sounds daft after what just happened but that was the dizzy :( not the engine. Plus, I didn't want something too edgy, my car is my daily driver, I just wanted Lude+, and that's exactly what I feel I've got.
Unlike Ratty's comment, and no disrespect whatsoever, I don't feel like I have a ticking timebomb attached, I still feel like I can push the car and I'm not asking for trouble. that's how it feels anyway :lol:

Oh and one last thing on the exhaust - Mine is a 2.5" header by solid fabs, into a 2.25" (decent dealer) powerflow cat back, so the decat is tapered.
My car certainly doesn't feel restricted and the numbers wouldn't suggest otherwise, but it will be interesting to see what difference a full 3" system makes to Merlins car.
I'm old and that would just be too darn loud for me :lol:
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

GOONIESnvrSAYdie
PSN GamerTag: GOONIESnvrSAYdie

Post by GOONIESnvrSAYdie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:27 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:I was all na fanboi until I got bent over by a supercharger. Now I have a very stupidly quick car with a ticking time bomb attached to it.
If I was to create a shopping list for the future of things I can start to acquire over the next 6 months or so ready for the build, what should be on the list?

I'd be happy with 250bhp. I'm not looking to go big power. I'd just like more torque really.

Saw the post about the different final drive, that something you've thought abought adding to yours Ratty?

Return to “Tuning”