Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ECU set up?

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
Therealjj91
My Generation: 5G

ECU set up?

Post by Therealjj91 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm

The last thing I need to buy now is an ecu... From what I believe I have 2 options the p28 and the p72 with apparently the p72 being the better but more expensive option? But what I really wanted to ask was how do I go about doing this, do I buy an ecu with a basemap to run the car on until the car us run in and ready for a final tune on s3000? Or I can buy a ecu and hondata pack but that won't come with a remap so would I have to get another basemap chip as well?

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm

There is the P30 as well.

The P28 and P30 do not natively have the ability to control IAB's (the butterfly values in the OEM intake manifold) whereas the P72 does. You can get the P28/P30 modded to control IAB's, for example HTune will do this for you, but you only need this of you are using the OEM intake manifold (but it is not essential as you can change the vacuum hoses to have IAB's open at all times). If you have a single runner ATR or Skunk2 IM you can use a p28/P30 without issue, this is what I have.

The Honda S300 is regarded as the best tuning packing for our engines but that is not to say others will not do the job. You need to first find a local tuner and see what tuning packages they are able to work with.

IMO never drive the car untuned on a basemap, if you have to move the car keep it at low RPM.

P28 with Hondata S300 - http://h-tune.co.uk/hondata-s300-v3-p28 ... ckage.html

Expect to pay in the region of £300 for a tuning session.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:31 pm

The main difference between the P28 and P72 is that the P72 has IAB capabilities, so it'll run the dual runners on a standard H22 inlet manifold. Nothing to worry about if you're running an ATR or Skunk2 manifold with single runners though. You can always have the IAB capabilities added to a P28, which surprisingly isn't that expensive. (I think £30 for the bits and then a little bit of labour from whoever). I think GotBoost and H-Tuned do this. This can work out cheaper than buying/finding a P72 as well.

You can buy an ECU and then buy say Hondata S300 and download a basemap if you want to do it yourself, or you can buy them together as a buddle from select dealers (Again H-Tune do this). Most of the time they can put a basemap on there for you.

But yes you'll need a basemap in order to get you to the tuner. A P28 or P72 without a basemap or tune is going to run an H22 like a bag of bum droppings if at all, so at the very least you want a basemap, but even then you'll want to get the car tuned as soon as possible. If it's a case of running the car in after an engine rebuild or something then you'll want to retune after 1000 miles or so.

I'll be damned if I was editting that Merlin! :lol:
Last edited by NafemanNathan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:32 pm

^^ :D

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:33 pm

See my last note ;-)

... Which still wasn't quick enough :lol:

Therealjj91

Post by Therealjj91 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Okay thanks guys, yeah I'm running an ATR mani so the p28 is good for me :) yeah I'll have to speak to h tune when I buy there ecu bundle pack and see about putting a basemap on for me and yeah I'll have to run it in after the rebuild and yes I'll be driving very gingerly aha.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm

If you cant get a base map post up here and someone will give you a copy of their map ;)

Have you read up on OBDII -> OBDI converter harnesses?

Therealjj91

Post by Therealjj91 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Oh really? Awesome, thank you! And yeah I'm going to need one for a BB block.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Some tuners might find it helpful to have a map to start from. The guy I use said it doesn't make much difference to him if my ECU had a base map or not.

Also have you read up on if any of the other modifications are needed before you can swap to OBDI? I have never used an OBDI ECU on an engine with OBDII sensors, I think there is something about the distributor and injectors that need swapped. I am sure someone here has a better knowledge out this.

Therealjj91

Post by Therealjj91 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:52 pm

I have the ATR injectors and fuel rail too if that makes any difference?

Return to “Tuning”