Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

going down the socketed ECU route

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
geany
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: geanyATC
PSN GamerTag: x-geany-x

going down the socketed ECU route

Post by geany » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:13 pm

So decided to take the plunge and go down the socketed ecu route. I have the 99 red top 5th gen.

Now my question is if i buy a socketed p28 ecu from the likes of H-tune and then a copy chip off nucleustylzlude and get a ODB2 to ODB1 conversion harness will i be good? Obviously will need to get tuning set up. Thinking of talking to performance autoworks about that one as its only about an hour away from me. Hoping to get my larger TB installed and set up at same time.

Am i being naive in thinking this is all i need? Mods are 4-2-1 manifold greddy evo cat back with de-cat type s intake k+n filter. Just fancy a slightly lower vtec x over. no expecting big gains just a nicer set up ride with a few improvements

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:20 pm

why dont you get a vafc? be a lot cheaper
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

geany

Post by geany » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Not really looked into them. Assume it's more than a vtec controller. Also felt a socketed ecu would give scope to move to Crome or Hondata if I wanted at a later date. Wouldn't have the foggiest on fitting one. But ecu and harness is all plugs and leads I think.

A1ex

Post by A1ex » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:53 pm

geany wrote:So decided to take the plunge and go down the socketed ecu route. I have the 99 red top 5th gen.

Now my question is if i buy a socketed p28 ecu from the likes of H-tune and then a copy chip off nucleustylzlude and get a ODB2 to ODB1 conversion harness will i be good? Obviously will need to get tuning set up. Thinking of talking to performance autoworks about that one as its only about an hour away from me. Hoping to get my larger TB installed and set up at same time.

Am i being naive in thinking this is all i need? Mods are 4-2-1 manifold greddy evo cat back with de-cat type s intake k+n filter. Just fancy a slightly lower vtec x over. no expecting big gains just a nicer set up ride with a few improvements
Don't know what you'll gain with a bigger TB from that setup but what you described above is basically the setup Rich tuned for me, minus the ATR intake, and he got 228bhp with a lower compression bottom end :). STK had the full ATR setup, only intake manifold and CAI different from yours, and got 237bhp. Rich did say the type S intake was a bit restrictive on mine up at the top end...

There is a hondata S300 socketed P28 ECU setup on my car, I think if you bought a spoon chip your need to install a resistor pack and change your injectors as the map is for peak and hold injectors not saturated ones.

I'd drop PAW an email, they'll send you on the right path :)
PAW rebuilt 98 prelude 228bhp & 171lb/ft R.I.P.
PAW rebuilt 01 ATR 238bhp & 164lb/ft sold
Monte Carlo Blue 02 S2K :D

stk prelude

Post by stk prelude » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:14 pm

^^^^What this boy is saying^^^^ 8-) 8-)

geany

Post by geany » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Mailed performance autoworks about it. TB I just have in my garage so thought I may as well use it. My red top is 11:0 compression I think not sure how that will affect it. Been toying with ATR intake just wasn't sure if it was a straight swap what was involved in swap. Would be interested to know

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 pm

geany wrote:Mailed performance autoworks about it. TB I just have in my garage so thought I may as well use it. My red top is 11:0 compression I think not sure how that will affect it. Been toying with ATR intake just wasn't sure if it was a straight swap what was involved in swap. Would be interested to know
AFAIK the intake is not a straight swap, there's some drilling that needs to be done or something! I'm sure whoever comes in here next will be able to explain better ;)

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:16 pm

The 4G P13 ECU modded to fit a 5G does not work. Mills tried it already. As said either get a P28 or P72 with a tuning program that your tuner can use. If you choose P28 I would get it modded to allow for IAB control for the Preldue;)
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

geany

Post by geany » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I was looking at getting one from H-tune they offer the IAB service for a small extra charge. And a single wire vtec whatever that is. A couple of my mates are running ECUs they have socketed enhanced etc and have no issues.

From what I gather the chips are as the are right? Can't be tuned. Or is tuning tweaked some how. Obviously Crome Hondata etc is all customisable but at a much greater cost.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 pm

The only way to tune a 5G is to go either:

Piggyback like the Dastek Unichip
Full stand alone like the AEM
P28 or P72 with your choice of Crome, Hondata, Neptune etc...

All will need tuned once fitted to your car.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Return to “Tuning”