Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

AEM Intake?

No, not in the key of C. An H is likely involved though ...
CrunchyAdams82
My Generation: 4G

AEM Intake?

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 am

I'm going to need to have an induction kit ready for when I get the H22 conversion done on my Gen 3.

I'm pretty sure I've decided on AEM, but which one of these should I go for? (I'm liking the bottom 3 tbh, but the very bottom one has a slightly different design. Any difference?)
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/aemsea ... BNz+b3f/zw

I don't think I want to go for a cold air jobby, cos I'd be worried about taking up water in our relatively wet climate (unless you have something to say about that). So I think short ram may be the way to go. I could still have it strategically positioned for optimal airflow from inside the engine bay, with a bit of modification anyway I'd imagine.

The only thing to consider is h22 in Gen 3 bay. Can you foresee any locating complications? :think:

@NafemanNathan, @RattyMcClelland, @Tramroadmotors, @honda-hardy?
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4
K30DPC wrote:If you wanna go there is nothing to stop you. ONE LIFE LIVE IT

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 am

The link looses your selection bud. I've assumed you've just gone for 92-96 2.2l?

The bottom one is the more popular one of the two, but you may find the gap between the the dizzy and the OSF shock tower is a bit tight, so whatever you get might need modifying (trimming down) at the neck. Have a look at some h22a 3rd gen images to see what you think. And unless you stick the mouth of your ducting just inches from the ground, you're not going to have any issues with a cold air induction. As long as you just draw air from outside the engine bay (so in front of the front wheel) you'll be fine.

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am

If I were you I would try and get the longer one. All H22's draw air from the front wing, it is the best place for cool air 8-)
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

CrunchyAdams82

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am

NafemanNathan wrote:The link loses your selection bud. I've assumed you've just gone for 92-96 2.2l?
Sorry mate, it still works for me. And yes, I just searched a 1995 2.2. Should look like this:

And here's a few 'H22'd Gen 3's' I pulled off google for good measure - for layout examples;

So you both think cold air intake is the way to go do you? Would that be the top two images shown on the AEM list, or should I contact AEM directly for a custom option if possible? I saw at the bottom of this page that they do custom 'Hybrid' pipes for H22'd EG Civics; think they'd do something for my application?
http://www.aemintakes.com/air_intakes.htm#cold
Last edited by CrunchyAdams82 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 am

It is the top two Andy, but the positioning on the 4th gen will be subtley different to the 3rd, so the filter might not actually end up where you want it. Another option to look at is a BMC CDA and that comes with a flexible duct. You could eventually do away with the flexi though and have something custom made out of 3" aluminium tube when money allows.

CrunchyAdams82

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:25 am

Yes, I must admit the BMC-CDA is my close 2nd choice! :) I've just heard good things about the AEM that's all. Does the BMC reach down to the wheel arch as well then? If so, presumably easier to adjust for a more precise fit? And just as effective as the AEM?
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 am

The filter element of the BMC CDA is great. That's what I use. I replaced the flexi pipe of mine with a cut up ebay special induction pipe. You can see it in the early pages of my project thread. The flexi isn't that long, so you still have to use the top portion of the OEM pipe, but using just the filter allows you to get creative and customize which is alway 8) in my book ;-)

CrunchyAdams82

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am

Ok, sounds interesting. Would I just get the unit for the 92-96 2.2 still, or something else? I would be perfectly happy with a BMC. :)
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Get the one for the H22a still.

Whether it's coincidence or not (And I was wondering whether he still had it for sale of not) Dino has just bumped his for sale thread :lol:

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/prelude ... t8271.html

CrunchyAdams82

Post by CrunchyAdams82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Yeah, just saw that! Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's meant to be, but there's no way I'll be able to afford any intake till end of August at the earliest. Am just making enquiries to add to my list atm.

I'd prefer a brand new intake at any rate I think. You know how it is. :roll:
Profile Thread
Andy's Si VTEC BB4

Return to “Tuning”