Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

hmmm rads leaking..

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
nucleustylzlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by nucleustylzlude » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Um...you did plug the fan back in? Sounds stupid...but once upon a time, I did this! :stupid: :facepalm:

2lude
XBOX GamerTag: a2lude

Post by 2lude » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm

What he said

After clem changed his his used to jump down a bar of heat on the dash as it was working to well lol

Give it a good run watching your heat gauge and check the fans again

Also the fan casing is easy to bend so make sure your fans turn easily ny hand and are not fouling the rad

All else fails try swapping over the fans from your old rad

Second thought if you have a/c turn it on as I'm pretty sure this turns the fans on

grant_day

Post by grant_day » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 am

Ok, its all connected properly, and just made sure that both fans do come on when A/C is switched on.
I'm starting to think there's a problem between the signal from the thermostat to switch the fan on when up to temp. ?? Any common faults known?

grant_day

Post by grant_day » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:00 am

Oh and also when its up to temp, after a run there's steam coming from the rad cap, obviously where its not getting cooled :(

BMCC
My Generation: 5G

Post by BMCC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 am

Section 23 P133 onwards of the 4th Gen manual shows you how to test the radiator fans swithces etc.
If you haven't got a copy then I am sure it will be on PUK or here somewhere. If all else fails let me know an email address and I will send the file on. Whole file 53MB so I'll try and cut out section 23 :idea:

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 am

Just a note, I thought my fans were borked somewhere along the line, turns it out was just so cold outside they never had to come on! On a hot day I had the bay open and I noticed the fans came on.

If there's steam coming from the radiator cap, are you sure it's only tight enough?
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

grant_day

Post by grant_day » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 am

Positive its on tight enough, I will see what happens if i change the cap over to the other one, the seal may be useless?
I'm sure its something to do with the thermostat switch or something, it gets up to half way on the in car temp guage, its never got that hot before without the fan coming on,
Surely if the switch is faulty then the fan wouldn't be told when to come on, which would explain the problems.
I'll have a play about this afternoon, as I've now printed off the pages from said manual :)

Thanks for all your help. I can't spoon feed myself Haha

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

It's not the halfway point that makes the fan come on, it's actually a bit more.

Make sure the cap types are the same and you're using the right one ;)

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/wiki/in ... _radiators

Also, the in car temp gauge *should* be half-way, that is it's running temp? Any higher or lower and it's either not getting up to temperature or it's not cooling right.
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

grant_day

Post by grant_day » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:43 am

Oh right, ... I've had it well over a year and its never gone past the quarter mark on the elec dial... The steam would be a result of useless cap, (they're both the same) . And the half way temp is normal operating temp (I now know :lol: )
Everything should be good.. once I sort the leaking rad cap.
:mrgreen:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 pm

grant_day wrote:Oh right, ... I've had it well over a year and its never gone past the quarter mark on the elec dial...
Really? Sounds like the stat might be jammed open. Normal operating temp is halfway.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Return to “Engine / GearBox”