Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

what oil do you use?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
nucleustylzlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by nucleustylzlude » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 pm

If you pick up anything else from me over the next week I have a bag of oil drain plug washers - Honda ones, you can take one bud.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 am

I went for the FUCHS TITAN RACE PRO S 5W40, can't fault it :) I'd be using a fully synth for a while (started on Royal Purple), but if you're switching from semi to fully (hur hur) you'll notice a massive change in cold starting and idling!
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Duo

Post by Duo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am

I've got Royal Purple in the Stagea and Silkolene in the 'lude, when I first changed the oil to the fully synth 5W40 the lude smoked a lot, one VTEC blast down a dual carriageway and the the smoke was gone until the next change, in one year I averaged a 1l top up, basically when my top up bottle was empty I knew it had been a year and was time for a swap, great oil.

The Royal Purple went into the stag about a month after I got it along with iridium plugs etc, had it in the car a year and quite honestly it's amazing stuff, cold start was incredibly smooth even with a fast dying battery, I also noticed the turbo was quieter and so was the engine, so far not had to top up once since the change. Running 10W40 in the stag though as the wing mount intercooler and cramped engine bay do not lend themselves to cool oil and compared to a Honda it's a fairly low compression engine.

The long and the short of it all is buy a decent enough oil and change regularly along with the filter, no oil will instantly kill your engine but even a cheap fully synth will leave less residue than any semi synth and full synthetic is what all makers recommend for modern cars as they're better and "low ash" so form less deposits. If you go for a cheap oil it may not stand up to hard VTEC driving much but go with what you can afford, in the almost 2 years having Silkolene in my 'lude I was not gentle with the engine and VTEC was an everyday thing like getting up to the red line and the oil never missed a beat and never looked like it was cooked or dead when drained out. By no means is my answer the be all and end all but it's what I personally have found, all olders cars if serviced by a main stealer will be filled with semi synth and most of it is from the same bulk outlet (I think it's the wholesalers who supply comma) and lets face it, Honda are not going to put oil in thats going to kill the engine. Semi synth is fine and is very good if you go with a decent brand but personally in these kinds of cars I'd always use fully synthetic because it affords better protection, same as a brake upgrade affords better stopping ;)

Thats my 2p :D

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 am

Cheepo Castrol Magnetec in the 5G and Petronas Selenia in the 4G.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Froidas

Post by Froidas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 am

Always used Mobil 1 Rally 5w50. Changed once a year, so maybe 1000-3000 km :) But now planning to switch to Royal Purple HPS. Especially, if I put new cams, then I thinks it's necessary.
Yellow Dream made true.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”