Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

My Random engine noises

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Bio
My Generation: 5G

My Random engine noises

Post by Bio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:19 am

In the ongoing saga that is my string of random engine noises, Monday morning I developed a new rattle from the engine bay.
It's annoying enough for me to hear it over the stereo hence I have been investigating since.

Now I know it's pretty impossible to diagnose over t'interwebs, but I've uploaded a video to youtube just in case someone can give me an idea of where to start:

I have:
Valve lash adjusted 6 months ago by Honda
Checked and re-gapped the plugs in case it was being caused by a misfire and re-secured the leads
Topped up the oil (it was already high, but it never hurts to take it to the line) - A change is due soon however, due to miles covered and time, but the oil is the usual clear, but turning darker brown colour that it should be.
Had the timing belt changed 2 months ago along with the tensioner and rollers.

There are 2 noises going on, one is the lower diesel noise that I'm concerned about, this has gotten louder since turning it off on Friday evening and re-starting Monday morning, the the newer higher pitched tick that's developed.

It's really starting to get on my tits. I love the car, really I do, but it's possibly the most irritating car I've ever owned other than a Corrado for maintenance!

Any thoughts or am I being paranoid?
1998 5th Gen 2.2 VTi Manual H22A5 BB8

rob quilter
Supporter 2014
PSN GamerTag: robquilter

Post by rob quilter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am

Has it had a compression test?
PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR JAPANESE CARS - http://WWW.TOKYOSQUAD.COM

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK - http://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/TOKYOSQUAD

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am

Hard to tell from the vid, but as a first step - take the power steering pump belt off and see if any of those noises go away.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

A1ex

Post by A1ex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

Possibly oil circulation issue if it's getting worse? The oil light doesn't come on until it's already too low (it's happened to me) and what your describing sounds like low circulation noises but this is a guess based on my recent experience. I'm sure someone who knows more will be along soon ;)
PAW rebuilt 98 prelude 228bhp & 171lb/ft R.I.P.
PAW rebuilt 01 ATR 238bhp & 164lb/ft sold
Monte Carlo Blue 02 S2K :D

Bio

Post by Bio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Rob, I've not had a compression test yet and not sure if I know anyone local with a tester. I'll have to put out the feelers and see if anyone I know has one.

Indigolemon; I know this is a real n00b question, but being a relative mechanical novice (I've only ever changed struts and basic maintenance on my cars, of which most of that was on my old BMW). What's the easiest way to take the belt off as it seems to be under a lot of tension?

A1ex, I was hoping nobody would say something like that but it was at the back of my mind so worth looking into. Any idea where the best place to start diagnosing it is.

Sadly this is my daily so I can't really have her off the road this week due to working odd hours :(
Naturally though I'd rather not drive her if I'm going to cause damage by driving at the moment so may wind up getting Taxi's to work which is money I could be spending fixing it..

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 am

Hey man - looking at the pump there should be a tensioner bolt somewhere (from above, it's back right on a 4g). Slacken the locknut on that, and slacken the two nuts holding the pump to the bracket on the engine (they're usually between the pump and engine). Then simply slacken the tensioner bolt until the belt slips off.

I had similar noises, and feared the worst. In the end the PS pump had died - hope it's as simple a fix for you!
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Bio

Post by Bio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 am

Ah right. Page 17-14 of the shop manual shows exactly that! At least I know what I'm looking for now on the belt side of things.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning I think.

A1ex

Post by A1ex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm

My diagnostics process was as follows;

Sh1t my oil light is on.

Check oil level, fine.

Call Rich from PAW on 01285 711733 and ask him. He said probably oil pump

Took it to him a week later to find out he was right and it was the oil pump. This was after taking it to a garage that didn't know what to do with it.

Morale of the story, call Rich he'll know what to do!

Bio

Post by Bio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Ah if only Rich was closer I would take it to him.
Sadly he's about 2 hours from me. Did you suffer any prolonged damage to the motor or was yours OK in the end? Just trying to judge how much time I have to fix this IF it's that (after checking that its not the PAS pump tomorrow of course).

I guess you got the pump replaced? how expensive was it if you don't mind my asking?

A1ex

Post by A1ex » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm

He's two hours from me too, soon as my light came on I didn't drive it anywhere so got it towed there!

It's still on going actually, it's in with PAW at the moment waiting for the pump to come in. Don't know how much it'll cost yet but for the quality of work they're not expensive. I'm expecting it to be £500 - £600 but that is a really rough guess and something like this is very situation dependant.

Damage wise, caught it soon and it was on my drive when it happened so there was a little ware to one of the big ends but that was about it, but if your light hasn't come on yet the pressure may not have gotten that low as mine was 0psi. You could buy an oil pressure gauge and fit it yourself (Rich suggested auto gauges from ebay for a 'good value' gauge for £25ish) and take a look at the pressure before taking it a long way.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”