Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ACT Clutch Kit

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Blue Lude
My Generation: 5G

Post by Blue Lude » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Rich (PAW) Can I post some pics of my ACT clutch here?

nucleustylzlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by nucleustylzlude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:59 am

To be fair if you have problems with the clutch I'm thinking this needs moving to the engine/transmission section. To post it here was a little bit like finger pointing, whether intended or not. I think the conversations are amicable and there's no issues here to move it to be informative for anyone wishing to purchase an ACT clutch.

Even I have an ACT clutch, they are good clutches, but I'm a bit miffed why you bought an updated item if you were not 'thrashing' it, the very mention of mountain roads paints a different picture to me but I'm not here to judge. As said so many variables with this one that unfortunately you'll have to write this off as experience. I'm also still confused as to why it's slipping if the mechanic said there's approx 5k mikes left in it? That's a fair bit if meat still left on it. You sure the issue isn't elsewhere in the clutch system? Just a thought.

If you're ok to move this to a more well suited section then please post here.

Blue Lude

Post by Blue Lude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:30 am

nucleustylzlude wrote:To be fair if you have problems with the clutch I'm thinking this needs moving to the engine/transmission section. To post it here was a little bit like finger pointing, whether intended or not. I think the conversations are amicable and there's no issues here to move it to be informative for anyone wishing to purchase an ACT clutch.

Even I have an ACT clutch, they are good clutches, but I'm a bit miffed why you bought an updated item if you were not 'thrashing' it, the very mention of mountain roads paints a different picture to me but I'm not here to judge. As said so many variables with this one that unfortunately you'll have to write this off as experience. I'm also still confused as to why it's slipping if the mechanic said there's approx 5k mikes left in it? That's a fair bit if meat still left on it. You sure the issue isn't elsewhere in the clutch system? Just a thought.

If you're ok to move this to a more well suited section then please post here.
Will do cheers!!

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 am

Nice one bud.

No need to do anything though, I can move the whole thread. ;)

Blue Lude

Post by Blue Lude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Here's the clutch in question, next to a new one (Exedy).

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah it looks like the the material is down to the rivets and is scuffing the top of them. Unless that is dust and other crap filling it up.

What was the state of the face of the flywheel?

IMO the best clutch for for road cars is the Accord Type-R OEM clutch kit (£160 odd). Many of us on LG have that clutch in our Ludes.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Blue Lude

Post by Blue Lude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Merlin wrote:Yeah it looks like the the material is down to the rivets and is scuffing the top of them. Unless that is dust and other crap filling it up.

What was the state of the face of the flywheel?

IMO the best clutch for for road cars is the Accord Type-R OEM clutch kit (£160 odd). Many of us on LG have that clutch in our Ludes.
There's no dust or crap in the rivets.
Too late to buy an Accord clutch, as an Exedy clutch was fitted, the one in the picture.
The flywheel (Fidanza) which came with the kit had hot spots on it.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Could be clutch drag then, not correctly fitted originally. Or does anyone else drive the car that could have been riding it maybe?

Blue Lude

Post by Blue Lude » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Could be clutch drag then, not correctly fitted originally. Or does anyone else drive the car that could have been riding it maybe?
I spoke to the guy that fitted it and he said it was either bad quality material on the clutch or maybe my brakes were binding, or something else.
I did have issues with my brakes and had them completely overhauled earlier this year.
I think it was the brakes in conjunction with misaligned tracking.
As for someone driving my car the answer is no-one since the clutch change.
The last person to drive my car was Nathan (Hayabusa Hunter) when he took it for a test drive!!

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Sounds completely reasonable that the guy that fitted it would blame something else, anything else other than his fitment.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”