Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Loose pressure plate bolts

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
JohnnyB
My Generation: 4G

Loose pressure plate bolts

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Guys,

As most of you probably know my cars been off the road for a year due to clutch issues. I had a new clutch fitted by a garage (an ACT) and it only last 6 weeks before it went tits up again. They refused to look at it without me paying for labour and since I couldn't afford it at the time I had to bite the bullet and take out a loan for a new car.

Anyway, I've just gone to take the "knackered" clutch out and found all of the pressure plate bolts are loose. Is this possible after 6 weeks of light use if the bolts had been correctly torqued? Could a knackered flywheel and/or old bolts cause this? As far as I can tell visibly there's nothing wrong with the flywheel or bolts but I don't want to confront the garage until I know the facts.

Thanks in advance!

jozefsan

Post by jozefsan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm

sound like they didnt been torqued properly

btw if garage done work on clutch and its gone wrong they should look into it as its under warranty. you should only pay labour if they find problem what is not connect with previous work done by that garage

paul bristol uk

Re: Loose pressure plate bolts

Post by paul bristol uk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:39 pm

My view is it is down to the garage, that should not have happened. How far have you driven it and do you have an invoice showng the milage when you booked it in?
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

Cheers for the input guys.

I've come to the conclusion that a combination of old (5 clutches!) stretch bolts and a *probably* damaged flywheel have caused the bolts to loosen. Of course it's possible they were never torqued up correctly but it's also much more likely that the previous clutch died in exactly the same manner and the faults weren't noticed/weren't there when fitting the new one.

The garage that carried out the work have been there for me on a number of occasions so I don't want to give the impression I'm blaming them, but I do feel had I taken it somewhere with more experience of performance cars the problems might have been spotted. They did the job for a very reasonable price and I've paid in the long run. We live, we learn, end of :)

The plan now is to replace the flywheel and all stretch bolts and refit the "old" clutch - Once I've whipped the engine out and given everything some JohnnyB TLC of course 8)

Return to “Engine / GearBox”