Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Evap System?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
NikaLude
My Generation: 4G

Evap System?

Post by NikaLude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'll explain first my routine around this problem, and then If someone could give me some light what I can do to solve it would be appreciated.

If it's cold weather, my 4gen 2.0 starts perfectly, if is hot weather, it just starts ok in the morning when its more cool the temperature..

When it doesn't start, I know the petrol pump is not feeding the system, as I cannot hear it pulling when I turn the key.
Most of you will say, its petrol pump problem, but here is the thing, petrol pump works fine if its cold weather...

My routine to start my car is, open the gas cap release the vapour inside the petrol tank, believe me, its mental the pressure that comes from the inside, and then, sit in the car and turn the key plenty of times, until, I listen the petrol pump pulling for at least 3 times.

That means I've got air in the line that feeds the petrol pump and then the engine, and I realize all that air comes from the vapours that build in higher temperature, and are not able to be released from the tank through the evap system/canister.

Bare in mind I turn the key but not to the point to have the engine starter going, otherwise, with millions of times turning the key until I listen the petrol pump, definitely I would have burn my starter by now...has been over a year I'm driving around like that, but with this hot weather, sometimes, I spend more than 20/30 minutes until I get enough fuel on the lines to start the engine....

So, hope whoever read this, understood, if not, you can ask me any question, I just want definitely some light/help how to finally solve this...

Thanks for your time :)

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Sounds more like main relay. Prone to going more so under heat.

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Re: Evap System?

Post by Scott560 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 am

Agreed, if the pump doesn't prime, I doubt the pressure in the tank is the cause.

I had an old rover 216gti (d16 honda engine) which had a similar fault. Start fine when cold. As soon as interior had warmed up, car wouldn't conk out, but wouldn't restart, no priming...

If the 5th gen is the same as the 4th gen I have one I can send (main relay which powers fuel pump)

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

NikaLude

Post by NikaLude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks guys, I always thought it would be the evap system, as I fell on the mistake of thinking, the fact I was releasing the pressure inside the fuel tank would be what was making my car to start quicker :?

I'm going to ask my father in law if he can do some soldering on my actual relay, and see how it goes ;)

Thanks for the help! :D

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I have a batch of resoldered main relays - can ship one out to you for £15 inc postage :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

Can you hear the pump running, but it just sounds different (as if air locked) or can you definitely hear it not running.

If it's definitely not running, then it's definitely an electrical problem rather than anything air lock/evap related.

Easiest thing to do would be to get a replacement main relay, slave that in (unplug the old one, plug the new one in and just leave it hanging rather than faff about mounting it properly for now) and see how you get on.

If that seems to fix it, then you can enjoy the fun of trying to unbolt and remove the original relay and properly fit the new one :D

NikaLude

Post by NikaLude » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 am

vanzep wrote:I have a batch of resoldered main relays - can ship one out to you for £15 inc postage :)
I might give a try on that, could you pm me so I know what to do, to get one from you? :)

NikaLude

Post by NikaLude » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:37 am

wurlycorner wrote:Can you hear the pump running, but it just sounds different (as if air locked) or can you definitely hear it not running.

If it's definitely not running, then it's definitely an electrical problem rather than anything air lock/evap related.

Easiest thing to do would be to get a replacement main relay, slave that in (unplug the old one, plug the new one in and just leave it hanging rather than faff about mounting it properly for now) and see how you get on.

If that seems to fix it, then you can enjoy the fun of trying to unbolt and remove the original relay and properly fit the new one :D
I will give a try on that, as definitely the pump is in silence when it doesn't start. the only thing it does is when I hear the pump for the first time, after not starting, it might not start straight away sounding like the engine hasn't got enough petrol, but then if I hear another 1 or 2 times, it will start ok :)

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm

NikaLude wrote:
vanzep wrote:I have a batch of resoldered main relays - can ship one out to you for £15 inc postage :)
I might give a try on that, could you pm me so I know what to do, to get one from you? :)
No problem - pm sent :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Return to “Engine / GearBox”