Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Exhausts & Intakes

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Exhausts & Intakes

Post by ATR84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm

I haven't even picked the Type S yet but I can't stop thinking about all the mods I want to do :D

In terms of exhaust, I understand that the Type S exhaust is a different length and diameter to that of normal Preludes, I assume this means whatever system I buy will need modifying in some way. Has anybody with a Type S that has changed the exhaust confirm this? Also, what systems do people recommend? I like it to be loud in vtec, I was thinking the Skunk 2, anything else I should consider?

In regards to the intake, I understand the Type S intake is very good power wise, but again, I would like more noise when in vtec. Any recommendations? I don't really want to lose power. Does the K&N Typhoon system for the Accord Type R fit?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 pm

The cat length is different on the A8, which affects the length of the cat back.

You can fit any 5g exhaust, if you also swap to a normal 5g cat, or get a standard 5g cat-back modified to make up the difference.

Skunk 2 sounds epic and is beautifully tuned to be quiet at normal revs but loud in vtec. It isn't the loudest exhaust in VTEC out there though - it's just a lovely balance.

Dino has had just about every off the shelf Prelude exhaust out there, so can probably help advise what might suit you best.
And if you just want loud... RattyMcClelland has one for sale that should suit! :D

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Unfortunately not quite.
The Type S header uses a longer header collector to clear atts anda strange length cat so any exhaust won't fit.
Been there and tried that.
I boughtan invidia q300 exhaust from the usa for a type sh. You would assume since the sh uses atts it's the same as a type s but when i came to mount it the invidia was 8" too short.

I ended up spending £750 on the exhaust from the usa then another £100 modifying to fit.
I did have a custom 3" exhaust made by paw but it was too loud. Nitin has that now however it's still in my garage.

Imo get a custom 2.5" made up.

Intake? Remove the resonator behind the bumper and put a k&n or itg filter in. Increases noise but maintains power.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:54 pm

If you want the exhaust. Let him have it and you can send me the funds back on my Paypal. :mrgreen:

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Lets see what he says.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:I ended up spending £750 on the exhaust from the usa then another £100 modifying to fit.
Yeah so that's what I said - you can use any 5g exhaust but will have to modify to make the difference (in length).

I forgot/didn't know the Type S had a different header as well as different cat for the standard A8, though.

Weird that the US ATTS lude header is different again the the Type S! :roll: :suicide:
Is there additional emissions gubbins on the yank ATTS lude???

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm

My situation is further complicated by the fact there is a mugen header on the Type S I am buying. I assume they mated this to the original longer header collector but you know what they say about assumptions.

@Ratty and @Nitin - Thanks for the offer of the exhaust :D , when you say too loud.....got any videos? Also, isn't 3 inches overkill on these engines? I guess I better wait until I know what is going on under the car, I have asked Torque GT to check it out for me when they get round to servicing it etc. I might get them to take a picture of the underneath so you experts can advise what the previous Japanese owner has done! :)

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

They made a mugen exhaust specially for the type s. It will be a factory fit mugen header.
Im supercharged do that's why its 3".

No videos.

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:They made a mugen exhaust specially for the type s. It will be a factory fit mugen header.
Im supercharged do that's why its 3".

No videos.
Ah yes I think I did read somewhere that yours was supercharged, that must be a hoot to drive. I am pleased to hear that the Mugen manifold is likely to be factory fit, thanks for all the help and info from you and everyone else who has commented on this and other threads I have created recently, I owe you all a beer :!: :D

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

ATR84 wrote:I owe you all a beer :!: :D
I prefer sexual favours.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”