Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Wtf is this

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
tom023
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Re: Wtf is this

Post by tom023 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:51 pm

While on the subject of rocker cover gaskets. Is it common for them leak slightly?
I fitted a new one when I first got the car and I have always had a damp patch around the gasket in general. Is this a "get it from Honda only" part or are there any aftermarket brands out there that work as they should?

P.s. sorry for the thread jack

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:45 pm

They shouldn't leak.

I used something called wellseal last time (on the square edged by the cam retainer end caps). It's semi permanent, never really dries. Probably not the perfect stuff to use but it seems to be good stuff.

Be sure the torque the head cover down in the right order, as it's a large part and the rubber bits compress it's worth making sure it goes down evenly , progressively upto the torque setting (something like 10 to 12nm if I recall) so that the gasket doesn't get pinched or distorted. Use a Stanley knife blade (out of the knife handle of course) to ensure all old sealant is off. Try not to get any crap inside, gentle cut/scrape outwards and try not to nick the metal of the head.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

tom023
Supporter 2016

Post by tom023 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Scott560 wrote:They shouldn't leak.

I used something called wellseal last time (on the square edged by the cam retainer end caps). It's semi permanent, never really dries. Probably not the perfect stuff to use but it seems to be good stuff.

Be sure the torque the head cover down in the right order, as it's a large part and the rubber bits compress it's worth making sure it goes down evenly , progressively upto the torque setting (something like 10 to 12nm if I recall) so that the gasket doesn't get pinched or distorted. Use a Stanley knife blade (out of the knife handle of course) to ensure all old sealant is off. Try not to get any crap inside, gentle cut/scrape outwards and try not to nick the metal of the head.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Yeah, I followed the same procedure. I used loctites red gasket sealant (can't remember the number now) that's just like you said, it never fully dries. I've got the feeling that it's a crappy gasket. When I get around to it I'll pick one up from Honda and play it safe.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm

drc - Think they've said it all above.

I would also change the oil at soon as you've done it, too, in case any has travelled down the galleries and collected in the sump.

Wellseal is good stuff. Possibly not as ideally suited in this application as hondabond, but I've used it on the rocker cover seal and it's worked fine.
The leak might not be from the seal, it could be from the rocker cover itself. The casting quality of some of them isn't great and they go slightly porous - the h23 cover on my bb4 is like that. There are two areas where the casting itself weeps.

EddieMunster

Wtf is this

Post by EddieMunster » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm
drc - Think they've said it all above.
I need to do the rocker cover gasket on mine, do Honda still do the gasket set?? Is there anything in particular I need to worry about doing this job, any Honda-specific foibles?

Regards
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Wtf is this

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm

Yep they still do the rocker cover seal set.
Just read up the service manual so you know where and how much small dobs of sealant and the light amount of torque needed for the nuts.
Have you already got a relatively new/decent cam end seal?

Scott560

Wtf is this

Post by Scott560 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am

looks like paint from when it was painted. In the couple that ive painted, i noticed that its easy for paint stripper (aka nitromorse) to congeal and get stuck in the baffles quite easily.

An ungodly amount of pressure washing and solvents and rinsing was needed before i painted it, i suspect many others do not take the time to do so.

Any damage done is already done, but removing the rocker and cleaning it should be performed. also you must use sealant on the gasket sharp formed corners. Id also replace the oil filter if not already done so, and take the opportunity to adjust the valve clearances if required.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

EddieMunster

Wtf is this

Post by EddieMunster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm
Yep they still do the rocker cover seal set.
Just read up the service manual so you know where and how much small dobs of sealant and the light amount of torque needed for the nuts.
Have you already got a relatively new/decent cam end seal?
No idea how old the cam end seal is, I guess this is worth doing seeing as though I'm unsure?

Regarding the manual, where might I find that; the last thing I need is to over-torque!!
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

toadster

Wtf is this

Post by toadster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 pm

LO :D
I had a oil leak from the rocker gasket on My Lude since I had a new water pump fitted last year along with a new cambelt.
It had been fine since I bought it even after I had the cam belt replaced when I first bought the car.
I have just had a new rocker gasket fitted along with replacing the aux belts and so far it's looking good 8)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Wtf is this

Post by indigolemon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:26 pm

EddieMunster wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 pm
Regarding the manual, where might I find that; the last thing I need is to over-torque!!
Check the 'Knowledge Base' link at the top of the page.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Return to “Engine / GearBox”