Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

PLEASE HELP! No spark at all

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
wilco101
My Generation: 4G

PLEASE HELP! No spark at all

Post by wilco101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Have recently changed the valves on the engine and done a cam belt change so everything has come off and gone back on the car, I now have no spark to any of the plugs what so ever.

Any ideas?

I stopped for the day as it was such a long day just wondering what sort of things could cause this
Have tried two different ecus
Would an unearthed earth wire prevent this?

Any ideas on what I could try would be appreciated

Many thanks

Drax

Post by Drax » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Dizzy plugged back in?
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Also check earth straps. The one to the thermostat housing is critical.

wilco101

Post by wilco101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Dizzy is plugged in and even tried a second one, will double check earths tommorow especially thermostat one
Thanks

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Also might be worth checking the dizzy is engaged with the cam, if you pop the cover off and rock the car in gear you should see it spin. I've had the tabs snap off on mine before.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Did you dismantle the distributor while it was off the car and renew anything that was in it?

How are you checking for spark? Is this with everything fully assembled, or have you got a spark plug out, connected to one of the ht leads and cranked the car while the spark plug is held against the engine to watch for it, visually?

wilco101

Post by wilco101 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Checked today, all earths appear to be on the distributor does engage and can see it spin with cover off

Didn't dismantle the distributor at all just took off and put back On had changed the cap and rotor a few weeks before and was working fine

Have tried with everything fully assembled and have tried with a plug out on a lead to check for spark visually with nothing at all

I'm wondering if ive damaged the crank position sensor when changing the belts? Apparently that can prevent spark

wilco101

Post by wilco101 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm

is crank position sensor in distributor or by pulley? so hard to tell as so many people saying different things, have a 1998 uk 2.2 vti

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 am

Someone can confirm but I believe its only the H22A7 in the Accord Type R's that have the Crank sensor located in the timing casing. So it should be in the Dizzy.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 am

So this is a 5th Gen rather than a 4th Gen? (your user info text says you have a 4g so that had confused me)

As sol-lude says above.
If yours is an H22A5 engine, then the crank position sensor is in the distributor.

So the fact you have checked for spark with the plug out of the engine rules out this being timing mechanically lost or out of adjustment etc. (actually do have spark but at the wrong time for the engine to fire). Definitely electrical in the ignition system. Sounds like you clearly knew/understood that but had to ask because many people don't know/think to check that way and pointless us all ending up on a wild goose chase :D

Some more questions...

What and where did you disconnect / reconnect electrically in the engine bay when you dismantled the head?

You said you have tried two ECU's. Which ecu do you have fitted now? The 5g had an immobiliser which matches the ECU to the key. Unless they are a matched pair, you won't get the engine to start (no ignition).
Have you used the red key at any time during the work? (will reset the immobiliser system and mean your car won't start).
Nb: I'm not an expert on all the immobiliser shenanigans on a 5g.... merlin Mercutio Rattymclelland can hopefully shed some more light there and tell me where I've been talking bollocks.

Also, is this a manual or an auto?

Return to “Engine / GearBox”