Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Black Friday purchase reccomendations

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
tom023
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Black Friday purchase reccomendations

Post by tom023 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:21 am

Black Friday is upon us (RUN YOU FOOLS!) and I have my pocket money burning a hole very close to my gentlemans sausage. The Prelude resto project is going slowly due to uni and work but I want to get the engine out throughtout the xmas holidays.

I'm looking for any reccomendations on parts to purchase for the engine rebuild. I plan to replace seals/gaskets, general maintenance and send the head off to be inspected/skimmed but is there anything else worth replacing while I have everything apart? Read something about swapping out hydraulic lma's for spring ones, I'm not sure which ones I have. Valves springs or anything like that also?

It's a 1999 model h22a8 and has done 265000km (165000 miles). I'm not planning on upping the power but I do want to turn back the clock on the engine and getting running like new or better.

Thanks in advance!

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Re: Black Friday purchase reccomendations

Post by Drax » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:50 pm

you only need to swap the hydraulic lma's for spring ones if it's a high compression build so i wouldnt worry there :)
are you just doing top end refurb or bottom end as well?
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

tom023
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by tom023 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the advice Drax. I'm going to remove the engine as I already have a bottom end seal kit and I want to clean up the engine bay aswell. It's going to be easier to do it all in one go.

Would it be worth changing lma's anyway due to the old ones being so old or is this not a part that suffers the wear over time? I heard the same about valve springs. Unfortunately I've had little experience these engines apart.
For the bottom end I've picked up some aftermarket crankshaft bearings but I have since found out that our Honda ones are colour coded and Honda sells you the exact dimensions you need depending on the colour, so I'll be picking some of them up aswell as some thrust bearings.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd swap or the LMA's regardless as the original ones always end up sticky. I got mine from eBay for £80.

Valve stem seals are a given, also the exhaust valve guides will probably be worn, I picked up some OEM standard ones from rock auto for not much money. I'd avoid bronze ones as they wear out quickly.

Regarding the bottom end, you won't know what size bearings you'll need till you measure the clearances. Aftermarket bearings do come in oversized, just like the Honda ones.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”