Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Bad crankshaft and conrod bearings on 5th gen h22a5

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
stinkypaul
My Generation: 5G

Post by stinkypaul » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 am

Sorry, bad choice of word, I didn't mean rebuild, I meant put new bearings in and put the engine back together

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 pm

If the car wasn't making bad noises when running - then the bearings were effectively fine. Yes they are probably worn a bit at such high mileage, yes they could be replaced, but there is nothing preventative about it. This is a major job.

I'm not sure what part of 'seems he was right' is true. The only way to check, if no knocking noise was heard at idle, is to measure the journals and the bearings whilst its all installed/torqued up using some expensive calibrated tools. If there are no score marks on the crank, no pitting or overlay rub through on the bearings, then it was probably fine. Its hard to tell from the pictures whether there is an issue there or not. But if there was no noise, then there wasn't really an issue? Yes it could get worse, but realistically would you rather have planned and saved/prepared for such a job first?

The first thing we knew of worn crank bearings on the CRX VTi i helped rebuild was the vtec oil pressure warning - the knocking started shortly after that due to low oil pressure and eventual crank/bearing failure.

If, a perfectly driveable car making no horrible knocking noise has had its engine taken apart on a whim, or to replace the bearing as a 'prevention' then the only thing you have prevented is yourself from driving the car and getting time to sort out options. Now your car is in pieces and the bearings don't look that bad.

I swear my car has the tiniest of knock sounds at startup, but within about 1 crank the oil pressure builds and it stops and car is fine. Am i worried about it? Tiny tiny bit, but am i going to dismantle my extremely well put together engine for no real reason? nopes!

Lets hope your mechanic uses gloves when he puts the new bearings in, along with the required measuring of the journals and matching of bearing sizes/colours from the honda palette.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 pm

How did this pan out in the end?
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 pm

I ended up only replacing the bearings.

The possible culprit was also the oil pan pickup tube gasket that was stacked on top of another old gasket, making a bad seal. Thus there was air and bubbles in my oil supply...

Changed the oil after 300 kilometers and now I'm hoping I never have to open my bottom end again.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Anzezaf wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 pm
now I'm hoping I never have to open my bottom end again.
:lol: :lol: sorry, i laughed far too hard at that comment :lol: :lol: the child in me!!

maybe try and pick up a spare h22? then if you get any further issues swap it over then rebuild your old engine yourself over time and saving a lot of money 8)
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Anzezaf wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 pm

The possible culprit was also the oil pan pickup tube gasket that was stacked on top of another old gasket, making a bad seal. Thus there was air and bubbles in my oil supply...
Ouch! That's a proper schoolboy error that someone has made there... Very annoying!

The odd thing is why had someone already been in there in the first place?

Return to “Engine / GearBox”