Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen 1999 2.0i cam belt knowhow needed

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Bimble7116
My Generation: 5G

Post by Bimble7116 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Fellas,

I’m in the middle of changing the cam belt on my Prelude as it’s over 8 years since it was last done. I did some looking on You tube first as there are a number of useful video tutorials on there. These focus on the 2.2 twin cam engine, my 2.0 litre Prelude has a single cam, which seems not to be covered on there.

I’m reasonably spanner able and have access to a good workshop - but my Prelude has been so brilliantly reliable, other than changing oil, it’s needed nothing - hence my hands on experience with it is effectively zero.

So far, I have removed everything to get the cam belt cover off, I was astounded how good the old belt is, it looked like it had been there a week!!! I have 2 specific queries about the cam belt cover. Right in the middle of it is located a long 12mm nut, which was very tight. On removing it, I noticed that the cam belt went noticeably slack immediately.

My question is - this nut is fundamental to setting the tension of both balancer belt and cam belt - but is fitted after the timing cover - which confuses me hugely as to how the tensioning process actually works?

Also the cam belt cover itself - was a nightmare to get off the car - there’s such a lack of space, it took ages fiddling and faffing until I eventually got it off, but the inside of the cover got pretty scratched in the process. Goodness knows how I’m going to refit it.

Please can any of you learned fellas on here share any ideas, advice or know how on any techniques, Intel, shared experience etc on single cam timing belt change. Any advice at all grateful received.

With thanks and best regards

Andy H

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:16 pm

search google for the official 5G factory workshop manual, they are really detailed and point out all the important steps, as well as exactly what you are on about, explaining the critical procedures.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Bimble7116

Post by Bimble7116 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks Scott - I don’t know why I didn’t think of that...?! It looks like a complete, comprehensive manual just the job. I did find some useful resource on YT when I looked for Accord cam belt change.

I now understand that the long nut located in the middle of the cam belt cover does not have to be removed to get the cover off...and will be fitted to locate the tensioners before the cover goes back on.

The method for refitting the cover - I still haven’t figured that out. It was very difficult to remove as it kept fouling on the LH balancer shaft, the YT videos show that it is easily removed from an Accord - as there’s more room between the inner wing and the front of the lump.

I’m looking forward to getting the job finished, then after a service and some new exhaust pieces including a new cat, it’s back on the road for the summer

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:53 pm

You might get more room when you remove the engine mount. Be sure to support the engine on a jack with something soft in between so you don't damage or dent the sump.

the idea is (and excuse me if you already know this).

1) jack up on underside of engine sump , ideally with block of wood or something a touch softer.
2) take up weight of engine only, don't lift it!!
3) you can then undo the engine mount, engine wont drop, mount should remove easily.
4) if you still don't have any room, you should be able to lower the engine a little bit on the jack, try not to fully lower the jack if you don't need to - don't want to stretch or distress the other mounts more than necessary.

That's a generic process, but tilting the engine down at one side normally gives you a bit more clearance (i haven't seen the 2 litre). On the wife's Peugeot last weekend i had to lower to get some bolts in, and raise to get another in, a bit of a pain but slow and steady its not too much extra work.

Good luck! Be sure to triple check before it all goes back together, nothing worse than a slipped belt or having to go through it all again because the timing is out.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Engine / GearBox”