Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen 2.0i auto - sometimes won’t turn over

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Bimble7116
My Generation: 5G

Post by Bimble7116 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Fellas

Hoping for some intel, tech knowledge, shared experience on an intermittent problem with my 1999 2.0i automatic Prelude. Most of the time it’s on the button, but sometimes on start up, it won’t turn over. Moving the gear lever from park to neutral and back again a few times, it will the usually start fine in P or N - but on the odd occasion it still won’t turn over. Patience and more moving between P and N is then required - which can take 15 to 20 minutes or more.

I suspect it’s the gearbox inhibitor switch, but having looked at the gearbox - I can’t see anything that looks like an inhibitor switch...? Can anyone shed any light please?

With best regards

Andy H

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:03 am

If the gear selector indicator on the dash shows that the car is in Neutral/Park, then the inhibitor should be working fine (not aware that the system is any more sophisticated than that - although checking the oem service manual would confirm).

May well be the ignition switch - they can be problematic on 5th gens.
There was a recall, worth checking with your Honda dealer if it was done.

Bimble7116
My Generation: 5G

Post by Bimble7116 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks Wurly for the intel about the ignition lock recall. I called Honda UK, the wee boy who answered was very helpful, though he was younger than my Prelude...! He confirmed that the car has been subject to the ignition lock recall - so that settles that I guess.

I note your points about P and N lighting up on the dashboard display when either is selected indicating the gearbox inhibitor switch is healthy. I'm pretty sure they do light up correctly. After I've finished the cam belt and servicing work, I'll check again. I have a spare automatic selector unit, I saw it going for not much money and wondered whether the non starting snag could be due to a sensor in the unit.

For the moment, I'm not sure where to look next. The car has been started instantly recently - perhaps notably since I bought it a new battery. Guess there's more chin rubbing to do...

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:30 pm

The A/T starter inhibit circuit on 5th gens uses the immobiliser to inhibit starting.

Relevant circuit diagrams are pages 4-4, 23-199, 14-48.

14-48 confirms that the immobiliser system receives the gear position signal from the same place as the gear indicator on the dash. So unless the wiring from that switch to the immobiliser ECU (grey wire) is faulty, then if the gear switch is shown park/neutral, it's getting the correct signal and that isn't the cause of your car not starting.

That being the case, if I were you, I'd discount the auto box interface being the problem and look at more straight forward issues with the starter;
Good earths to the engine, good connections on the starter motor.
If those are good, next time it doesn't start, give the starter motor a damn good wack with a heavy spanner. If that gets it working, then either the solenoid is sticking (do you hear it click when it doesn't spin?) or the brushes in the starter are sticking/badly worn down.

If you have another person to help you, you can confirm it by holding a multimeter across the solenoid contact on the starter motor and the negative post on the battery. If when you operate the starter switch the input to the solenoid goes high, then all the circuit is working fine and the starter motor is the problem. If you have no signal, then it's worth checking at the 'starter cut relay'.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”