Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Poor quality aftermarket parts

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Bimble7116
My Generation: 5G

Post by Bimble7116 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

I realise this is an often voiced complaint - dirge quality parts that last 3 heartbeats then fall off! I've been changing my 2.0i Prelude's cam belt, as this involves removing the rocker/valve cover, I ordered in a new rubber seal kit for it. It came from eBay, but it was a Blue Print item, so thinking that's a Japanese brand, it would be ok.

It was not ok - the cover seal didn't fit properly. It's too big and doesn't sit properly in the specific channel designed for it, a section of it sticks up and puckers out of shape when the cover is re-fitted and the fixings tightened down. Result is a pretty substantial oil leak - I'm frustrated and irritated that I have to order a new genuine Honda seal to replace this defective one - and that its very likely that the original seal would have been just fine had I re-used it.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Ive not had this. Whilst parts from ebay might feel cheap or fit a little poorly, generally they are not defective.

Mislabled parts or missold parts is common however, perhaps it wasnt the right gasket? If you think of the economics of selling/listing so many items, errors are bound to occur, with the customer providing the feedback...

Pretty sure the one i bought for my dads rover 620sli was fine, and i think that was a blue print (honda 2litre, cant recall engine code).

I like ebay for parts - you get a pretty decent choice for service items... Some sellers are a bit hit and miss but on the whole my ebay experience is positive.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 pm

That's surprising tbh - Blueprint parts are normally absolutely fine.

Very frustrating when things like this happen though, agreed.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:38 pm

I put a blueprint Cam cover gasket on my old f20a4, same as you. It fitted fine
I suspect it was the wrong part enclosed. Do you have part number?

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm

banged in one of these, fitted just fine , shows accord and prelude fitments...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OE-V ... 1910256734

One of the things i find ordering honda parts on ebay is that the product catalogue for Honda is more complicated, since vehicles persist with the same name over the generations, and also crossovers between the generation with parts, aswell as a wide distribution across different markets gives a lot of possibles, i spend longer cross checking its the right part than installing it half the time.

Some of the honda prices from lings are quite reasonable , surprisingly so on some seals... I ordered one from lings and it came very quickly.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am

I'd definitely say wrong parts been sent if it was a genuine blueprint part.

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Bimble7116 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm
I realise this is an often voiced complaint - dirge quality parts that last 3 heartbeats then fall off! I've been changing my 2.0i Prelude's cam belt, as this involves removing the rocker/valve cover, I ordered in a new rubber seal kit for it. It came from eBay, but it was a Blue Print item, so thinking that's a Japanese brand, it would be ok.
It's quite likely the correctly labelled part, it's more likely to be just poor quality; I bought a rocker cover gasket set for my 2.2., I opened it, was immediately appalled by the quality and fit, and then opened my wallet at the local Honda dealer for the genuine item.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Bimble7116

Post by Bimble7116 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Yes, I did the same Eddie - lobbed out for a genuine Honda item. The young lad in my local dealer was curious about the Prelude when I went in to collect the seal and was genuinely interested in it.

I removed the ill fitting/leaking seal and fitted the genuine one - which fitted superbly - and now there’s no oil leak.

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I might have a SOH gasket sitting in the garage brand new. I will dig it out. Think its in a fairly easy place to get.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”