Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Slow, hard to trace oil leak

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:44 am

There was a bit of oil pooling, see pic below. Tiny amount, can't be sure it is not there from when TGM cleaned off the old oil. If it were coming from the crank seal, could the oil end up here? Surely it would just fall through the hole and onto the floor no? The crank seal hole is a few inches to the right of where the oil is. Or is it getting there from above?

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 am

hmmm, hard to tell from the pic, is that bracket holding the downpipe covered in oil? (on the end of the downpipe flange where it meets the flexi-section).

This is where my oil cooler oring was leaking onto mostly. Its any easy quick job and not much to worry about. At first i thought it was my oil filter, but in the end, the old seal was clearly heat cycled and hard and cracked pretty badly...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:17 am

Scott560 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 am
hmmm, hard to tell from the pic, is that bracket holding the downpipe covered in oil? (on the end of the downpipe flange where it meets the flexi-section).

This is where my oil cooler oring was leaking onto mostly. Its any easy quick job and not much to worry about. At first i thought it was my oil filter, but in the end, the old seal was clearly heat cycled and hard and cracked pretty badly...
I don't think it is, I have unfortunately spent a lot of time under there over the last few days with a torch so thought I would have noticed, but I will check later. My biggest concern is if the oil is coming from the crank seal, all the other seals it could be are easy to change.

Max

Post by Max » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 am

So you know its not cam cap seal, or rocker gasket as they have been replaced, and you've checked around the dizzy. Is there any oil on the side of the head under the dizzy area towards the thermostat housing? If not you can probably rule out the vtec solenoid but if there is id look at that next.

Failing the above jack up the passenger side front and take the wheel off, look for the oil filter and you'll see the oil coller its screwed onto, is there any oil on the bottom of the cooler? If so thats your problem, if not the next thing to look at is the rear main seal but thats a gearbox, clutch and flywheel off job.

As above pictures would help.

Max

Post by Max » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am

Oops too slow with my reply

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

I would do all the first 5 items as listed in the prelude power oil leak guide before looking at main seals/crank seals etc
The first 5 items are pennies to do.
From the photo it could be any of the 5 that are leaking as the oil from them always collects there. Cam end cap has been done - what about vtec solenoid gasket?
When doing the rocker cover you normally go back after a week or so and recheck the torque and tighten as necessary.
Ive replaced some gaskets and in the past and overtightened them so the new seal leaks and once they are over compressed there is no way back and they need replaced. TBH all the H22;s ive seen (4th and 5th) have oil collecting in that spot and they do seem prone to very minor leaks.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks for the all the help and advice people, it really is appreciated.

The Prelude is booked back in with TGM to do the remaining 3 seals on the 12th of April (earliest they could do). The only saving grace is that Torque GT are still covering the cost and have even said they will if it ends up being the crank seal so that is something I suppose.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 am

Any form of stop leak is not a good move, imo.

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Update.

Remaing seals done by Tom at TGM today. So now the rocker cover gasket, cam end oil seal, vtec solenoid seal, dizzy o ring seal and oil cooler o ring seal have all been changed.

As an aside, Tom noticed that the oil filter was really loose. Could oil have been escaping because of that? Anyway new filter on now and properly tightened, and the oil was changed at the same time.

Tom also removed the housing exposing the flywheel as if it was the crank seal leaking he said he would expect to see oil on the flywheel, but it was bone dry. Does this rule out the crank seal?

There is not much left to try.

He cleaned off as much old oil as he could but there is still probably old oil in some nooks and crannies. I have put fresh cardboard under the car so I can easily identify fresh drips.

To be honest I am fully expecting the leak to reappear, I think it is because there is no obvious place it is leaking from. Fingers crossed but I fear the worst :|

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Thats good that they gave done all the seals you mention but it sounds like your guy might have found the culprit being a loose oil filter.
Your right about old oil still kicking about but give it a good clean all round the top of the block and gearbox - just use some kitchen roll or cloth and scrub the old crap out dont use any spray or cleaner just dry cloths-after this way you will be able to see whats if anything is leaking ontop - ideally get under the car at some point and clean the underside. Then put down some paper or cardboard. Only then will you be satisfied. :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Return to “Engine / GearBox”