Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Blew front main oil seal, repair, replace or upgrade?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
km666
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: fargoneonone

Post by km666 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:07 pm

I'm talking about just the engine here. I think the seal was probably weak anyway but what happened was got into the Vtec zone in 2nd, car bogged down slightly or felt like it missfired, pulled off the dual carriageway and oil light came on. Fortunately owning two cars came in handy, especially when my other car is a 3.0 turbo diesel, so was able to tow it home.

I was hoping it was the oil filter that came loose so changed that, refilled with oil and started it up again to find its clearly the front main seal which failed. However the car still ran and idled perfectly it just leaked oil heavily, basically I havn't killed the engine.

The engine has survived so my main question is really what to do now.

A) Replace the oil seal and all the other seals I can get to on this engine, which would be everything bar rear main seal AFAIK. I'd be doing it in situ. I know i'd be looking at doing at least a cambelt change in addition to swapping the seals for new but is there anything else I should do while its stripped down?

B) Source a H22A7 and fit that and get rid of my engine, i'd probably still do most of option A but i'd be doing it on a freestanding engine away from the car and just slot in the new motor. For this i'd source a complete accord as the sums just about make sense in terms of stuff I can still sell on vs what i'd want to keep from an accord. The engine in it doesnt match the VIN anyway and is of dubious origin. My car was the one that was running 260bhp at one point before the engine and gearbox found their way into a mk4 and mine got a mystery engine and gearbox.

C)Keep the mystery engine but in addition to option A go a bit deeper with it. So upgrading some things while everythings apart instead of just servicing it. Again i'd be looking for any suggestions of things I can bolt on or drop in while i'm working on the engine.

Further thoughts. A is only really viable if I can do it all in situ. If I have to remove the engine B becomes alot more attractive given I know preciciely sweet FA about the engine in it. My folder of paperwork relates to an engine it doesnt have.
-KM666

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 pm

If the shell is really good maybe getting a decent accord type r engine in would be the best bet.

If this happened to mine I would either rebuild the engine or do a K20 swap, but my shell is pretty much immaculate.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 pm

You won't necessarily know a lot about the new engine in Option B, either.

If you can do what you're suggesting in Option A, you'll at least be working on engines that runs well now.
International Pensioner of Mystery

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Difficult decision but if you have room then go for a donor prelude.
One that has maybe failed its MOT on bodywork or suspension but has a good engine with service history and you can hear&see it running.
Get a prelude and you will be able to take off any spare parts you might need to keep your car running in the future ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

km666
PSN GamerTag: fargoneonone

Post by km666 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

ATR84, the shell is so/so. The drivers side rear arch needs repiars on the inner and outer sections and it really wants a new bonnet if i'm being fussy. However the sills and floors are in great nick, as are the front inner sections and passenger side rear inner not so much as a spec of brown. The difference between what I paid for mine and what one in great all round condition is worth is more than what i'd pay to have mine bought up to scratch unless I really lucked out.

I'd be looking to purchase a donor accord for option B Sailor, so i'd get the history and stuff with that to cover the engine's documentation. So long as that hadn't had an engine change that is. I do agree that with A the current engine is one that I know runs well. Its just going to be a fair bit of work whatever I do really. If I can get something extra in the same amount of time it seems worth rolling the dice.

Vanzep, theres room to have a donor car for a week or two to get what I need off one. I had a 2.0 mk5 before mine so have loads of interior parts and bits of exterior trim as thought they'd be the hardest bits to find in the future.
-KM666

Return to “Engine / GearBox”