Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Bogging down

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Andyjess666
My Generation: 5G

Bogging down

Post by Andyjess666 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:20 am

I have a a 2.2 prelude an it seems to big down in lower gears fine on main roads motorway etc, it's been serviced with new leads plugs cap rotor arm etc haven't changed fuel filter as of yet I heard it could be lambda senser but I have no lights on so thought if anyone can point the way as I know this is a issue with these cars so hopefully you can help thanks in advance

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Bogging down

Post by Drax » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Injectors clogged? Clean your egr.
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Bogging down

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 am

O2 sensor?
Faulty o2 sensors mean the engine runs rough in closed loop mode as it relies on o2 feedback to adjust fuelling. ie everyday driving, low gears, economy etc etc and bogs down is it's reading rich.
Open loop is running off a map such as freaking insane driving vtec etc etc and doesn't really need the o2 sensor anymore for feedback.

Scott560

Bogging down

Post by Scott560 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:32 am

i'm not sure how the long term fuel trims are stored in the ecu. You could try removing the ecu fuse so that it forgets/resets the trims that might have been adjusted by a faulty lambda sensor. If it immediately feels better, but then progressively goes back to bogging down, then id suspect the lambda.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Andyjess666

Bogging down

Post by Andyjess666 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:40 am

I start with the egr when ever it's dry here an let you know

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Bogging down

Post by Greg-SiR » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 am

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 am
O2 sensor?
Faulty o2 sensors mean the engine runs rough in closed loop mode as it relies on o2 feedback to adjust fuelling. ie everyday driving, low gears, economy etc etc and bogs down is it's reading rich.
Open loop is running off a map such as freaking insane driving vtec etc etc and doesn't really need the o2 sensor anymore for feedback.
Ratty maybe you can help me out too,save me posting a new thread on similar..
So my Bb4 went in for a suspected head gasket job last week,turns out it was the Vtec solenoid gasket gave up but was always lead to believe it'd be the head one as i was told and shown by a mechanic on acquiring the car a few years the minor leak at the time anyway...
I was over the moon obviously and got some more smaller jobs done on the car to get it ready for it's looming sale instead.

Had the car back the next day at last leak free for it's first time in 4 yrs drove it casually no high reving etc for the day,got in next day after fluids checked do one or two crossovers it hesitates the second time then for the rest of the trip it's bogging/spluttering/popping and hesitant when easy on the throttle.

Checked fluids and discovered there is way too much oil in it,reckon mechanic had excess of 2 ltrs too much,drained until it's sitting on max now on the stick put it down to being too full but no next drive the exact same thing.

Checked leads/dizzy/plugs reset ecu got rid of old fuel all fresh 98 in still does it,i drove today 30 mins out of Vtec car drives absolutely perfect,as soon as it engages then it's off again.

You can feel the engine straining like when the a/c puts drag on being used then splutters, it'll clear a bit on full throttle but hesitate on the revs pop pop bang.

Haven't done much else driving wise and am staying lower revs for the moment but if you have lost out on vtec kicking in due to low oil say cornering it is a similar feel on it just one rev through no change or tone.

Mechanic did say they tried to pull the Cel but i am aware of it and it has always been on but never effects the car it's Cel 13 Barometric pressure sensor.

Hoping to try an ecu swap over the next days should get rid of the Cel not so hopefully with my bigger issue :x

Any thoughts?
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Bogging down

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 am

Engine timing good?
Opened up the VTEC solenoid to check if blocked?
Injectors good?

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Bogging down

Post by Merlin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:51 am

First thing I usually do is put a bottle of injector cleaner in the fuel tank.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Andyjess666

Bogging down

Post by Andyjess666 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:07 pm

I've cleaned the egr an it's helped the problem not so bad now so maybe a easy fix I tried the fuel cleaner before and it didn't have much effect

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Bogging down

Post by Greg-SiR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:39 am

Took off the Vtec solenoid last night gave it a thorough clean,for sure there was some fouling in the chamber and mesh catch,reassembled and left over night,just drove it there Vtec is good and back,chuffed :D
Noticed the garage only changed the upper gasket and bottom is flat as so ordered a bottom off MR H just in case,would have assumed they'd have done both!
15 minute job all in :thumbup:
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

Return to “Engine / GearBox”