Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen gearbox / driveshafts play?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 am

Yer the driveshafts sounds pretty normal. I changed mine used and to brand new insane driveshafts, both made that noise.
To me, you described a rear engine mount failure. Can you rock the engine?

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am

Just to be clear, the noise in the original video is coming from directly inside the gearbox casing, and this is the same noise I had/have.

It happens when applying only the slight force by hand (enough to rotate a wheel) and no where near enough force to move the engine / hit the mount... The noise occurs on the road even at the slightest hint of lifting the clutch, or even just releasing the brake and rolling backwards.

I will dismantle my old diff tonight, I have seen that the central bar is held captive by a retaining dowel that looks like it can be staked out (famous last words).

The noise occurs when there is no where near enough force applied for the wheels from the engine (eg when pulling away).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

newkid
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:21 pm

That noise is normal tho.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:59 pm

newkid wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:21 pm
That noise is normal tho.
Yep, these gearboxes are really clunky when not under load.

I'd be looking elsewhere for the noise, since it is only apparent when the brakes are not applied, I'd be looking at half shaft bearings/mount, brakes and whatever what gets put under tension when the brakes are applied (engine mounts, bushes, ARB's and balljoints).

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:08 pm

Yeah, it's definetly not the rear engine mount. I replaced it twice, once with a copy and now an OEM one.

Also, when the car is parked, shut down and in 1st gear and if I push/wiggle to rock it back and forth I get that god forsaken clunk.

So it really should be either the driveshafts or the gearbox.

Again, if anyone has a spare gearbox to check if that play that I showed in the video is normal, that'd be really appreciated. I went to the local yard and the guy had already sold the tranny so I couldn't check the play there :(

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Mine does the clunking too even with a rebuilt box and new shafts. Even my van and s660 both do it. I just take it as normal. As long as there is no lateral movement.

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Is there any way to check if it's the clutch plate or something clutch related?

I kinda have this feeling in the back of my head that it started after installing a new clutch, but sadly I cant say for sure. I'm a retard, I know :(

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm unable to drift out the retaining pin from the diffs center shaft, i suspect it needs some heat. I couldn't find anything suitable to substitute as a driveshaft/CV splined end...

I had a look at the rest of the junked gearbox (the u2q7 pictured), its partially dismantled so not sure if this is relevant. If I turn the input shaft back and forth, it makes a similar sounding clonk (that resonated through the casing).

I separated the casing, pulled out the input shaft, and some of the gears fell off the end lol. A brief look at the innards shows the clonking slack to also be in the selector thingys (what slides up and down the input/output shafts) to locate/lock the particular gear to the shaft. If i'm feeling adventurous i'll try and put it back together enough with the diff, and check if the slack is coming from the diff part or the selector slidey parts.

I'm starting to think the diff might be less relevant, as the amount of play doesn't seem to add up.

One way you could confirm for sure is to remove the speedo sensor, this will give you visibility of the Diff housing, you can then see if the diff is turning during the clonk. If the clonk occurs when the diff is turning, you know the slack isn't in the diff.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:02 am

Well, I'm at a loss here. I'm just gonna cope with it until some brave soul shows us their gearbox play, if there is any.
Again, thanks for the help @Scott560

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 am

Just to clarify, this turned out to be a faulty driveshaft. Apparently when I took the video, the driveshaft was positioned in such a way that it had no slack. When I had the car on a lift, the slack could be felt easily.

Swapped them out, no more clunks. Happy days :!:

Return to “Engine / GearBox”