Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

No torque at idle when engine is warmed up?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Anzezaf
My Generation: 5G

Post by Anzezaf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Might be totally normal, but I kinda doubt it.. But when my engine warms up to normal working temperature (takes about ~5mins or 2-3 kilometers) its torque drops to almost zero.
Like, getting the car rolling in first gear is impossible without adding gas? When the engine is cold (when the choke is doing its thing) getting rolling without adding gas is A LOT easier.

Now it's nothing to write home about, but it's still annoying how I have to add a little bit of gas for even the tiniest moves in traffic - Can't even move an inch without it..
Wonder if you guys are experiencing this same phenomenon?

I already cleaned the FITV and IACV valves, and tested the PCV by blowing in it and everything seems fine

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Have you taken the TPS off recently or tried recalibrating the tps sensor.
At fast idle the engine doesnt rely too much on the tps sensor but once warm the throttle closes and your tps could be an issue.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:45 am

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Have you taken the TPS off recently or tried recalibrating the tps sensor.
At fast idle the engine doesnt rely too much on the tps sensor but once warm the throttle closes and your tps could be an issue.
i agree, plus check the 3 wires to the TPS are the correct voltage. i've had this on WIll's old silver 4g
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Welp, I checked.. TPS voltages and resistances all check out as per the helms manual :|
I dunno, maybe I overlooked something when cleaning the FITV, maybe I didn't tighten the plunger thingy far enough..? Everyone says to tighten it until snug, but that is hella vague :eh:

Drax

Post by Drax » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am

Anzezaf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 pm
annoying how I have to add a little bit of gas for even the tiniest moves in traffic
i had this when my FITV was faulty/broken, maybe worth trying swapping with a spare second hand one? or if anyone nearby has a 5g to lend one from as a test
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:33 pm

I haven't read the part of the manual about adjusting the base idle? I don't think this adjusts the actual idle speed, but it must offset the work of the idle valve, i think its the big screw recessed into the top of the TB. I turned mine out a turn or 2, and seems to have stopped the revs dropping slightly too low whilst it waits for the idle to be corrected after lifting off or coming to a sudden stop.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Drax wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am
Anzezaf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 pm
annoying how I have to add a little bit of gas for even the tiniest moves in traffic
i had this when my FITV was faulty/broken, maybe worth trying swapping with a spare second hand one? or if anyone nearby has a 5g to lend one from as a test
I tested the FITV today by removing the intake hose and plugging the lower hole in the TB. They say there shouldn't be any suction through that hole when the engine is warmed up, and I had noticeable suction.
Like if I plugged it with my finger, I could make a noticeable pop! sound when I pulled my finger away. There wasn't any effect on idle speed tho

I further tested my theory by plugging the hole with a rag, to stop the suspected additional airflow and test the torque by trying to get the car rolling, but the situation didn't change...the problem persists.

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Scott560 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:33 pm
I haven't read the part of the manual about adjusting the base idle? I don't think this adjusts the actual idle speed, but it must offset the work of the idle valve, i think its the big screw recessed into the top of the TB. I turned mine out a turn or 2, and seems to have stopped the revs dropping slightly too low whilst it waits for the idle to be corrected after lifting off or coming to a sudden stop.
Thanks, I'll look in to the helms manual about that matter ;)

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 am

Have u touched the dizzy before you had an issue?
:thumbdown:

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm

TBH I've had this issue ever since getting the car - about 2 years now. Never touched the dizzy in this whole time

Return to “Engine / GearBox”