Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

VTEC intermittent

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

VTEC intermittent

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pm

My 5g has intermittent VTEC engagement, this issue has only just appeared in the last few days.

It was "off the road" for 18 months, whilst I did loads of mechanical work to it (including full service, rocker cover gasket etc.), and before that point VTEC engaged fine. It was MOT'd earlier this morning, straight through with no issue, but hadn't really been driven for 18 months prior to yesterday/today. The full service I did in April/May included all filters, oil etc., and what came out was pretty clean, so there was nothing to suggest tired oil or heavy deposits/clag etc.

Is there an ODB code that might show the issue, could it be 18 month-old stale fuel, or, could it be the solenoid itself?
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

VTEC intermittent

Post by Drax » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:16 pm

check the vtec solenoid, just 3 bolts to take it off - the gauze gets dirt inside it sometimes and prevents vtec.
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

VTEC intermittent

Post by ATR84 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Is this your 4g or 5g?

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

VTEC intermittent

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Check the wiring to the solenoid.

Check the little filter in the spool valve gasket and that the piston moves freely.

EddieMunster

VTEC intermittent

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:26 pm
Is this your 4g or 5g?
5g.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

VTEC intermittent

Post by Sailor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm

EddieMunster wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Is there an ODB code that might show the issue, could it be 18 month-old stale fuel, or, could it be the solenoid itself?
I don't think 18 month old fuel would cause this.
International Pensioner of Mystery

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

VTEC intermittent

Post by ek9sid » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm

I know its noddy but worth checking oil level. I know when mine was low on oil, the sloshing of it in the sumo would cause it to drop off vtec.

I know you said its been serviced but just thought it might be worth a check

EddieMunster

VTEC intermittent

Post by EddieMunster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Drax wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:16 pm
check the vtec solenoid, just 3 bolts to take it off - the gauze gets dirt inside it sometimes and prevents vtec.
Couldn't find any gauze, spring and actuator seem fine though.

As an aside, where's the ODB port, all I can find is the usual pin/paperclip affair???
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

VTEC intermittent

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:08 pm

EddieMunster wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:23 pm
Drax wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:16 pm
Couldn't find any gauze, spring and actuator seem fine though.

As an aside, where's the ODB port, all I can find is the usual pin/paperclip affair???
:shock: no gauze. Get a new VTEC solenoid gasket.

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-h ... pMQAvD_BwE

No OBD2 port. Just the paperclip port.

Intermittent VTEC is lack of oil typically. Always been my issue. Anything below min and it goes intermittent.

Scott560

VTEC intermittent

Post by Scott560 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:11 pm

How strange! Can you describe the intermittency?

There are a few pre requisites to vtec engaging:

1) ECU has to know the oil is up to temperature and up to pressure in the head. VTEC will not activate when the car is cold. If the oil pressure is low at the time of calling for vtec, you will get a Check Engine Light - so rule out a pressure issue if you don't have a CEL. Oil temperature can lag behind the water temperature indicated on the cluster, so be sure its warm before trying.

2) The 'screen' that was mentioned in the gasket, this is where the vtec solenoid block meets the cylinder head (the 3 bolts going horizontally into the side of the head). If you removed the top half only of the solenoid you wont see it, you need to remove the whole block part. It would be unusual for the screen to be blocked enough to prevent VTEC however.

The VTEC solenoid is activated by a simple 12v positive feed on that single wire. You can easily hook up a test indicator (small 5w bulb, or similar, with a ground added), and have it poking out the bonnet. If it lights up then you know the ECU is calling for it fine.

Whilst you have the multimeter out, check that the vtec solenoid itself is working. Unclip the connector, and check for continuity between the solenoid and ground, i don't know what the resistance should be, but its likely to be in the 10s of ohms range. I cannot recall if you can hear it move or click when applying 12v to it. I seem to recall applying 12v to it whilst the car is idling (and connector disconnected) seemed to make the idle go lumpy after 5 to 10 seconds, this was a good indicator that the solenoid was actually changing the cam profile.

Another question - have you been driving a different car in the meantime? the VTEC switchover can be more slight than you remember - it could be working absolutely fine! no VTEC kicking in generally means you wont hit the rev limiter, it will feel like the car is completely nackered, like a blocked exhaust, it just runs out of puff on the sleepy cam... If you can hit the limiter in 2nd or 3rd then its probably working.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Engine / GearBox”