Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Anybody used an Apexi VAFC/Neo?

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Some of you will know that unless you want to lose your ATTS (which I don't) the only way to tune a Type S is by using a piggyback. Before I get flamed for the suggestion of using an Apexi VAFC or Apexi Neo, I know it won't net me much in the way of gains for the amount it would cost to buy one and have it tuned.

However, even if I didn't have ATTS, I wouldn't be doing engine work anyway and I have read that an Apexi is good enough when just trying to make the most of mods like intake, header, exhaust.

My main question is, assuming I don't care about the cost vs bhp gain, what are the downsides to doing this? Assuming I get it properly tuned by someone who knows what they are doing can this method lead to problems with my car? I don't want it throwing warning lights or mucking with the ATTS for example. I also don't want it to cause issues such as lumpy idles or flat spots. My engine runs really well and I want to keep it that way :) .

Any insight from people with experience of using these would be appreciated :thumbup:

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am

I have no experience with running it with ATTS of course, but I did run a VAFC II for some years on mine.
I had PAW dial it in, dropped my VTEC crossover down to about 4k from memory and the fuelling adjusted etc. I had no issues with it at all, because it had been done properly. Was quite nice having the read out for battery voltage etc too.
Mine went when we did the new engine and Hondata setup, otherwise it'd probably still be in use!
HTH
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:21 am

bennyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am
I have no experience with running it with ATTS of course, but I did run a VAFC II for some years on mine.
I had PAW dial it in, dropped my VTEC crossover down to about 4k from memory and the fuelling adjusted etc. I had no issues with it at all, because it had been done properly. Was quite nice having the read out for battery voltage etc too.
Mine went when we did the new engine and Hondata setup, otherwise it'd probably still be in use!
HTH
Thanks for the input :thumbup:

@RattyMcClelland did you ever use an Apexi piggyback with your Type S or was it just the Greddy Emanage? I have been advised to steer clear of the Greddy Emanage so if I do this it will be using an Apexi.

@bennyboy did the ECU fight the piggyback in anyway? I have heard some stories of people having to reset the ECU every few hundred miles because the ECU relearns and negates the effects of the piggyback.

I did speak to PAW about this as they have done pretty much all the work I have had done on my Type S, Rich didn't seem to think it was the best idea in the world but I would like to get the best out of the mods I do have if possible. Just don't want to break anything, especially not ATTS!

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:05 am

ATR84 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:21 am

@bennyboy did the ECU fight the piggyback in anyway? I have heard some stories of people having to reset the ECU every few hundred miles because the ECU relearns and negates the effects of the piggyback.

I did speak to PAW about this as they have done pretty much all the work I have had done on my Type S, Rich didn't seem to think it was the best idea in the world but I would like to get the best out of the mods I do have if possible. Just don't want to break anything, especially not ATTS!
No, not in my case, but I think you may be talking about the difference between OBD1 and OBD2?. I did wonder if that may have an effect in your case.
TBH, if Rich says he wouldn't, that's usually good enough for me! :lol:
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:22 am

bennyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:05 am
ATR84 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:21 am

No, not in my case, but I think you may be talking about the difference between OBD1 and OBD2?. I did wonder if that may have an effect in your case.
TBH, if Rich says he wouldn't, that's usually good enough for me! :lol:
Yeah I should probably listen to him to be fair! :D

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Never used it. I used the greddy. Any piggy back on an OBD2 ECU will fight unfortunately. Have you tried asking on the USA prelude faceballs pages or search there with their Type SH ludes?

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Edit. Just searched vafc on the bigger Honda prelude Facebook group 40k group members and many SH lude owners have used it.

ATR84

Post by ATR84 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:53 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:39 pm
Edit. Just searched vafc on the bigger Honda prelude Facebook group 40k group members and many SH lude owners have used it.
Thanks @RattyMcClelland, I guess the question is have they used it successfully?

Return to “Engine / GearBox”