Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Clutch Problems

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Clutch Problems

Post by chris_rd92 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi guys,

I've been daily driving my 5th gen 2.2vti manual Lude for over a year now and it's been bullet proof, but yesterday the clutch began playing up and I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Firstly while giving it the beans through the country lanes, I noticed it suddenly became a bit tricky to get it in gear, like the clutch wasn't quite engaging enough. I had to be very careful and put in more effort.

The weirdest part though was while I was sat at the traffic lights. I had the car in 1st gear and had the clutch pedal fully to to the floor, when the car lurched and juddered slightly as if it was trying to disengage the cluct by itself! It did this a couple more times, and I didn't move my foot from the floor at all.

I've also noticed juddering when pulling away, and I have to rev it more to prevent it from stalling. Obviously this is clutch related, but what do people think? Could it be the master/slave cylinder? Or release baring? The car has done 85k and I believe still has the factory clutch and fluid.

Scott560

Clutch Problems

Post by Scott560 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:50 pm

If you hadn't said the part about juddering and stalling - id say it sounds like the slave is on the way out (leaking fluid, gradually letting the clutch out until you pump it again, hence traffic/traffic lights being a problem where you have long periods of pedal pressed / fluid under pressure).

However, If its not smooth disengaging to pull away, then it sounds like the actual hardware of the clutch is on the way out.

With an assistant:

1) Check the clutch slave arm moves an inch (about 15/16ths actually last time I measured it) when you fully depress the clutch pedal.
2) Remove the slave cylinder, check the end of the slave rod. It should be a nice smooth dome. Re grease it and refit. If you have a mirror on a stick, or camera on a stick, have a good look inside the gearbox housing where the clutch control arm is. If its not greased, the ball could be wearing through the arm (not heard of on a honda, but can happen). You should have a rubber dust boot keeping the casing free from dirt.
3) Bleed the fluid whilst you have the assistant - it's quicker than brakes, as the line is much shorter and only one of them. It cant hurt, and fresh fluid may highlight any leaks or other issues.

Those are the cheap/free things to check, otherwise its most likely the clutch itself is starting to fail. I had this happen after a track day, i think part of the backing came off, or one of the damper springs broke off causing it to drag and not disengage fully. Disengagement was also quite unpleasant / notchy in terms of transferring power to the wheels.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Clutch Problems

Post by vanzep » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Good advice there from Scott560 :)
ive always found the following:

change of fluid to torco mtf or amsoil mtf can help with any notchiness
most lude gearboxes have never had fluid change - you can check for low fluid level by undoing the inspection bolt and sticking your finger in to check if any fluid-it should be full up to the inspection hole so check when car is on the level
good idea to put in a magnetic drain plug as this can help clear out any small metal shavings caused by wear and tear
release bearings always seem on last legs even if friction and pressure plate have load left on them
slave cylinder normally goes first so look at that before master cylinder

hope this helps
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

chris_rd92

Clutch Problems

Post by chris_rd92 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:53 am

Lots of good advice there, thanks chaps! I'll begin my inspections and report back with what the problem is.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”