Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ATR Diff groan

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

ATR Diff groan

Post by Scott560 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm

I'm pretty sure its been doing it for a long time, but seems to have become more noticeable.

When the car is hot after having been driven, when I go to park at my destination, full lock at slow speeds seems to initiate some kind of groaning from the drive train. It can do it when cold also, but less often. Its not a popping or clonking noise as you would get from worn CVs for example.

No other noise whilst driving or whilst hoofing it - or if it does you can't hear it, only when parking for example.

Anyone every notice this on an accord type R or prelude box with the ATR diff fitted?

I'm going to refill with MTF-3 tomorrow. gearbox oil is probably 2 years / 10k miles old (refilled when diff was put in at PAW, box the diff came from was neglected however, new diff bearings also at this time - but would expect them to groan all the time if worn).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

TitzonToast
PSN GamerTag: TitzonToast

ATR Diff groan

Post by TitzonToast » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:17 pm

I bought and fitted one of these boxes to my Prelude a few months back. I have the exact same groan that you describe. I bought a really heavy diff- specific oil to see if it made a difference. It shifts really nicely now when warm but still groans at full lock at low speeds.
Tamquam Pullum Gustavit

Scott560

ATR Diff groan

Post by Scott560 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Good to know, always good to get feedback.

1.9 litres of oil came out, and 1.9l of MTF3 went in. Will find out tomorrow if it made any difference. It's just a concerning noise, but no other symptoms or worries if others have heard it.

Changed the engine oil and filter aswell, filtered the old oil and no bits in it. Checked the spark plugs aswell, all good with light grey soot and no other deposits. All good prep before a track day either way.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

ATR Diff groan

Post by Scott560 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 am

No noise when parking up at work - so happy with that, but it was colder today and car wasn't as warm because I stopped en route...

Still, ill consider it solved for now until i hear it again.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Engine / GearBox”