Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Emissions test advice.

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Bludge
My Generation: 4G

Emissions test advice.

Post by Bludge » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 pm

Some of you may know im trying to get my car back on the road after an extended period. It has a decat pipe due to failing emissions some years ago. now that the decat isnt an option, i need to get it through the emissions test to get it back on the road.

the reason i decatted in the first place is because the only replacement cat i could find at the time was a massively expensive sports cat, however i have come across this:
https://www.cats2u.co.uk/honda/7161-hon ... 90790.html
Seems pretty cheap, so im dubious about it. anyone know if its going to do the trick, or have advice on where else to buy?

Im also going to replace the lambda sensor, but is there anything else that would effect the emissions? i want to try and have a good chance at getting the car through the mot, so im wanting to try and get it ship shape before going in!

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Emissions test advice.

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:44 pm

That cat should do you fine, just make sure the length matches what you want as JDM and UK cats are different lengths (nor sure what yours is).

Regarding emissions, just service the crap out of it, plug gaps, timing, egr valve, etc. Swapping the O2 sensor will not likely do you any benefit unless it's throwing a code.

Bludge

Emissions test advice.

Post by Bludge » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 am

Ok awesome! I will grab one! Thanks.

Yeah i was gonna give it a full on service and make sure everything is clean before taking it in, wouldnt have thought about plug gaps though!

Its been so long i cant remember how to adjust the timing, will have to find the guide again!

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Emissions test advice.

Post by Scott560 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:40 am

Its in the manual i sent. suspect 4th gen procedure same as 5th gen.

It is worth confirming that the timing mark is on the flywheel and visible. Ive seen one where it was impossible to see with the strobe - had to turn it over by hand and then use a tiny paint brush to put some white housepaint on the mark.

Warm car up , turn off, bridge connector, start up.
attach timing light to plug #1 (pulley end i think)
pull out rubber bung near gearbox clutch release cover
shine in timing light
loosen dizzy bolts a little
tap it forward or backward until the timing mark shows against the little reference arm cut out.

not too fiddly, easy job - bought a cheap strobe from ebay about 20quid. Flash isn't very good after 5 seconds of use, but otherwise cheap tool to be used infrequently.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Engine / GearBox”