Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Gen5 car wont idle on cold mornings and stalls

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
RobDriver
My Generation: 5G

Post by RobDriver » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:40 pm

1997 2.2 Vti...108000 miles.....On cold mornings the car starts fine and runs ok for a few minutes. It's cold in my village so around 2 degrees

I start driving and a Mile up road at 1st junction car stalls (2.2 auto) H22 motor.

Its seems like it runs on auto choke on initial startup and as it comes off auto choke it won't idle anymore. I battle to keep car running for the next mile and then it clears and 100%

New plugs/ Idle Control Valve and throttle body cleaned...no misfire ever....no EML warnings

Any suggestions?
5 Gen
Melton Mowbray

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Thereis a FITV, which is located on the throttle body. Sounds like it needs adjustment. It is effectively the auto choke system.

What are the initial revs when started from cold, I'm betting lower than they should be and then valve closes too early before the car has warmed up.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:51 pm

you can try cleaning out the throttle body (spray in some carb cleaner in short bursts whilst its running.

If its still a bit bogged down after that, try increasing the base idle - this is the big screw recessed in the top of the throttle body. This will allow the idle to be higher, without necessarily raising it. The manual probably has the proper procedure, but i suspect you want to unscrew it 1/4 to 1/2 turn maximum to begin with and see if its happier (at least i think its unscrew).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RobDriver

Post by RobDriver » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I like the sound of the FITV valve.....will look at that...
Have already sprayed throttle body with carb cleaner and no change

Thanks for the help so far. Happy xmas
5 Gen
Melton Mowbray

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Not wanting to contradict, but if the car runs fine when warm, do not go adjusting the idle screw, throttle screw or any other adjustable that would affect the running of the car when warm, you'll only bodge the running of the car when warm to band aid the cold starts.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”