Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Lambda issue

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
stinkypaul
My Generation: 5G

Lambda issue

Post by stinkypaul » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:20 pm

So, I broke my lambda sensor. The front exhaust pipe rusted through and I had to cut the lambda sensor out. It looked ok but when I put the new front pipe on I got a cel. So I got another lambda sensor and fitted that, which seemed ok, but as soon as the engine warmed up the cel came back on.
Checking the error codes I get a single flash every 4 seconds, which I assume is code 1, lambda.
I got another, different lambda sensor, same problem.
After each change I removed the radio fuse.
Both replacement lambdas are the universal type.
What do you think, could it just be that the universal lambdas are not suitable, or could it be something else?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Lambda issue

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Lambda sensors themselves are tricky to test - you can't really test them statically, you need to look at the live data they give back.

One key thing to note is that a lambda fault code doesn't necessarily (and in fact in vast majority of cases on modern cars doesn't mean) that the sensor is faulty - it means the sensor is detecting the exhaust gas emissions are out of range, which actually means there's a problem with the A/F mixture - too rich or too lean.

In your instance, if all was ok before you changed the sensor, then it perhaps is that the sensor isn't the right type.

However, if you've also changed the downpipe, you need to check carefully that there aren't any sealing issues/leaks in the exhaust - if there are, that will affect the A/F mixture in the exhaust that the lambda sensor is seeing.

Best thing to do here would be to check over the exhaust assembly and then w.r.t the static tests you can do, follow the fault finding guide in the Honda Service Manual.

What sensors did you buy/where from? Weblink to them?

stinkypaul

Lambda issue

Post by stinkypaul » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks, I hadn't considered air leaks, but I think I'll check that anyway.
Hopefully the new lambda will sort it when it arrives, but we'll see. Fingers crossed as this will be the fourth one I've tried.
The two universal ones that I've tried are:
The one I have coming is an adh27027 which is meant to be a direct replacement.

stinkypaul

Lambda issue

Post by stinkypaul » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:16 am

Didn't find any air leaks. Turns out it was the lambda sensor, I fitted the direct replacement and it's been fine since. Confused as to why the universal ones didn't work even though they were listed as compatible with an H22, but there you go.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”