Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

HONDA PRELUDE 97-01 ACCORD 98-02 AIR INDUCTION KIT SR

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
vito
My Generation: 5G

HONDA PRELUDE 97-01 ACCORD 98-02 AIR INDUCTION KIT SR

Post by vito » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi guys, just a quick one, i have found the following ""HONDA PRELUDE 97-01 ACCORD 98-02 AIR INDUCTION KIT SR"" can i have some thoughts on the item? i am considering buying it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any advise as always welcome

Thanks
It's a V-Mobil

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 am

I'm not sure if that will increase your performance but it does look shiny. :)

vito

Post by vito » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:48 am

will it not increase air intake? :?:
It's a V-Mobil

Kawa
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:07 am

It may increase air intake and also increase the roar of the engine (slightly).
You will be taking in warmer air which may be a backward step (slightly).
I'm all for bling in the bay - go for it! 8-)

vito

Post by vito » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:38 am

are you saying that induction kits dont work? what if i would add a bonnet scoob to get more cold air into the bay? and it will look awsome at the same time?
It's a V-Mobil

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey man, I fitted one like that and removed it again. Made a nice noise, but my MPG and dropped and I had less power down the rev range - mainly due to it sucking in warm air from the engine bay I think. Never noticed any power increase with it either, so really it cost me more in petrol and made a nice noise - but that was about it :roll:

If you want an induction kit, aim for one that feeds into the wing, that way you'll be drawing cold air. Your MPG will still drop slightly, but you should notice an increase in power along with it. The cold air ones will require you to remove a resonator box in the wing, and have two bits of piping to run down into the space that will leave there:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-PRELUDE-COL ... _500wt_951

These need the bumper off to fit properly, and I really doubt you'll get the 10-15bhp the guy suggests. Also, if you do go for this, two important points:
1 - The filter they supply is crap, I'd get something better to stop cruft getting in
2 - I'd strongly suggest some sort of rain hood for the filter if you're going this route, as the filter will be sitting quite low

Hope that helps.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Kawa

Post by Kawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:57 pm

If you are after performance mods, it may be worth looking at some inline air filters, like the CDA units. These units sit in the engine bay, so less likely get clogged up when you suck up cats and they draw cold air from the wing (where the resonator box is/was)

Positive breathing mods (air filter, exhausts etc) dont make that much difference with a standard ECU, some ECU's actually detect the changes and compensate to 'remove' the effects made by the modification.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Kawa wrote:Positive breathing mods (air filter, exhausts etc) dont make that much difference with a standard ECU, some ECU's actually detect the changes and compensate to 'remove' the effects made by the modification.
Forgot about that, the OBD2 ECU in the 5th gen compensates and wrecks any gains, doesn't it? Good point Kawa - totally slipped my mind.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Kawa

Post by Kawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:28 pm

yey, + rep for me 8-)

vito

Post by vito » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

cheers guys, it actually make sense now, on my previous 4G i had one installed and it was big one from known maker (cant remember which one) and it seemed hmmm .... heavier like i would have fat fella always with me. so i am thinking now, what if i cut a hole in the bonnet and install a hood scoop to get so desired cold air in? subaru type? it will have alu mesh to protect from cats :D , look nice, more roar coming out from the engine and more cold air coming in (its england so 365 days a year) sound like win win situation to me doesn't it? but i will have to wait till next month as i have just spent some cash on breaks and vinyls. ITS A PLAN
It's a V-Mobil

Return to “Engine / GearBox”