Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Error code P1166….

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Wellhappy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Wellhappypea

Error code P1166….

Post by Wellhappy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:42 pm

Following on from my other post getting this through it’s MOT failing on emissions .. we cleaned the egr and put better fuel in after a clean out and took the car for a high rev play and this popped up but is intermittent and comes off and I’m off on a nice run out ect ?? Could it be the wiring or the actual sensor itself as this has never come up before ?? I take it that if it’s the sensor it’s the one in the manifold ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wellhappy on Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott560

Error code P1166….

Post by Scott560 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Was the lambda wiring clipped back properly? It seems strange it would fail now unless it was mishandled.

I would check the wiring isn't burnt out/shorting on the manifold and that the wiring/connector is proper. There probably is a fuse associated with the heating circuit, I would double check the under bonnet fuses.

If everything looks OK, I would further check the sensor for continuity on the heater circuit pair, but I couldn't tell you the wire colours off the top of my head (normally 4 wires, 2 for heater, 2 for sensor).

If the circuit is open - sensor heater ist kaput - get a new 02 sensor and be careful when fitting it.
If there is continuity in the sensor - wiring to it might be dodgy, or the heater fuse has blown.
If all that checks out OK - I would clear the code and drive normally and see if it sorts itself out. Normally this code would indicate a failed sensor though...

I have seen holed exhausts cause fuel trims to be held up too high - and the only way to get it back to normal was to clear the DTC code, run the car around for a bit (normally, no full throttle, normal town driving), reset the code, and repeat that 4 or 5 times until the trims lowered enough for it to sort itself out, but that was for a different code.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Wellhappy
XBOX GamerTag: Wellhappypea

Error code P1166….

Post by Wellhappy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm

Scott560 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:10 pm
Was the lambda wiring clipped back properly? It seems strange it would fail now unless it was mishandled.

I would check the wiring isn't burnt out/shorting on the manifold and that the wiring/connector is proper. There probably is a fuse associated with the heating circuit, I would double check the under bonnet fuses.

If everything looks OK, I would further check the sensor for continuity on the heater circuit pair, but I couldn't tell you the wire colours off the top of my head (normally 4 wires, 2 for heater, 2 for sensor).

If the circuit is open - sensor heater ist kaput - get a new 02 sensor and be careful when fitting it.
If there is continuity in the sensor - wiring to it might be dodgy, or the heater fuse has blown.
If all that checks out OK - I would clear the code and drive normally and see if it sorts itself out. Normally this code would indicate a failed sensor though...

I have seen holed exhausts cause fuel trims to be held up too high - and the only way to get it back to normal was to clear the DTC code, run the car around for a bit (normally, no full throttle, normal town driving), reset the code, and repeat that 4 or 5 times until the trims lowered enough for it to sort itself out, but that was for a different code.
brilliant thank you sooo much fella, this has helped no end and will go check everything mentioned, that’s what I love about this forum ! Everyone is so helpful :)

Scott560

Error code P1166….

Post by Scott560 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:23 pm

Wellhappy wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm
Everyone is so helpful
It's only helpful if it fixes it! :lol:
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Wellhappy