Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Another Type S on Ebay

Found something on eBay? Selling something on eBay? Tell us here
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by ATR84 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 am

I had a quick look at the MOT history out of interest. There have been long periods, one of 5 years, where it hasn't had an MOT. Not necessarily an issue, but in 2010 the mileage was recorded at 130,779 km, then at the next MOT 108,233 miles, and now 10 years later it is reporting 118,298 km :!: :?:

With the apparent condition, the mileage discrepancies and the fact the car is a cat n write off, if it sells for anywhere near the price it is advertised for I would be very surprised, Mugen kit or not.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 am

Well I found a previous advert where that car was sold buy a chap in Bristol who is know at bh the time for clicking cars especially Preludes.

RattyMcClelland

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 am

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 04, 2020 11:21 am

Is that turbotimer, or someone else?

TBH though, with cars this old / low value / relatively common, you buy them wholly on the eyeball condition and any detailed service records that come with them - the actual receipts, not a stamped service book.
Recorded mileage is pretty irrelevant to the value (because in the scheme of things, they're worth drokk-all anyway!).

Scott560

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by Scott560 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:40 am

I'm always dubious of people and cars that come from ebay where the person selling it isn't the owner/keeper. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole to be honest but that's just me. Obviously a buy to sell affair from someone pretending to be a car dealer.

The only way someone can turn money on cars is to buy it for less than its worth, do the least amount of work possible (or bodge it), then hide as many issues whilst speaking only about the positives, then pass it on without saying anything about known issues. That's what the add looks like to me.

Without wanting to needlessly disparage the seller or the car, issues that stick out in my mind:

1) Front number plate is new, back isn't - it was a front end smash...
2) that mugen kit, probably been repaired so not original (dip in bumper recess by the P on the reg plate?)
3) not original wheels, perhaps they got smashed? no one with any taste would fit those unless that's all they could get quick to move the car on.
4) drivers door handle spring is broke- handle hasn't returned
5) bonnet raised on one side at the hinge
6) might not be any rust on the underside, by the boot hinge/bolts and rear quarter seems to have some visible
7) those rear discs are a bit ropey - probably not many miles done recently. Doubt the seller has done more than a handful of miles in it. Can then say he doesnt know of any issues...
8) looking at the video, looks like radiator mounts have different nuts, and battery tie down seem way too long (suspect the originals went missing along with the battery when it was in storage/compound. couple of big bolts as spacers lol).

car dealer with no premises - just drives his cars down to the local church green by the looks of it. Not sold many cars recently either by the looks of it or any at this kind of value or rarity.

I'm not saying the car isn't worth the money (not sure how badly someone would want it), but it would be harboring hundreds of issues for the new owner to discover at their surprise just days/weeks down the road.

Perhaps I'm just too honest when it comes to selling cars.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by ATR84 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:57 am

Got spot @RattyMcClelland

@wurlycorner I see where you are coming from regarding the mileage but in this case it is just another nail in the coffin because of all the other issues.

@Scott560 that is a good analysis, let's hope the seller doesn't come on here, he will probably have a good old cry :)

On that note, in the video I think I spotted that the ATTS warning light is also on :crazy:

Scott560

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by Scott560 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:04 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:57 am
@Scott560 that is a good analysis, let's hope the seller doesn't come on here, he will probably have a good old cry
I doubt it very much. He is looking for a buyer that doesn't know anything, so he's unlikely to come here and say 'look at my type S for sale that I just got and know nothing about - you guys can rip it and point out all its problems, i feel that will really help me with my sale and expected profit.' He knows the issues, probably just doesn't care - he will just be thinking about payday, #notmyproblem.

Or, if he is unable to spot issues with the car, then he probably shouldn't really be buying/selling them in the first place. The fact its got no airbag is a big worry, how did it get past the MOT? resistor trick? What else might be hidden... The fact there is no mention of the story, or history, just stinks of trouble. Even if the listing opened as 'I bought this car , sprayed up a bumper and banged it back together' that would be a start.

I noticed a lot of preludes recently on ebay, probably got taken in as a part X at some garage or MOT failure, then some entrepreneur bangs it on Ebay for 3k with rusty arches and expects some nice profit without doing any work. That's what the whole ebay/car market looks like to me these days on the older cars, and not much better for middle aged cars. Its no surprise people are forced into buying brand new cars these days.

Both of the 10th gen civics we bought last year (both official approved honda stock from large official honda dealers), both had issues (one garage+car bad - car sent back, one garage very good and car good - car kept). It is only those recent experiences that have cemented this mindset. How else can a big dealer turn a profit on a car? Same for a smaller one - there is no 'honest' money in it these days.

As always, buyer beware - but that should be obvious buying a 20+ year old jap import :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

tobyslude

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by tobyslude » Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm

I don't even see the point of clocking cars like this, jap import, Honda, H22. Whoever buys a Prelude like that knows what they want and what the cars are like, to me anyway a 'high' mileage Honda (or any jap car for that matter) wouldn't deter me from buying it as long as it's been maintained. And it hasn't even been clocked that far back if it has been.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 04, 2020 3:04 pm

People deliberately trying to hide something don't normally do detailed walk around videos like that though, tbf.

If anyone on here is interested in it but lives miles away and doesn't want to/can't travel, it's only about half an hour from me, so I'd be happy to view it for you (subject to obvs restrictions) if you like.

RattyMcClelland

Another Type S on Ebay

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon May 04, 2020 5:30 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:21 am
Is that turbotimer,

Boom that's him Iirc.

Return to “eBay”